Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer stops at start-up

• Please log in to reply

user23

user23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hrm. If the PC powers up, it means that some of your hardware works, yes. The question is how much and which parts and are they permenantly disabled. I don't think pushing on the ends of the cables will help. They generally snap in firmly.

You're talking about a "smaller wire" does it look like this? or like something else?

When you power the PC up, does the HD-activity LED on the front of the case light up? If it doesn't the HD might be disconnected from the power source somehow. Can you hear the Hard Drive, CD-Drive, or CPU Fan spin?

Sorry iv been away for 3 days.. i had some family issues. OMGGGGG ok ok , Heres my solution.. jus to let you know its up and running exactally like it was before i fooled around with it.. But ill let you in on the story. I sat down with my computer.. and gave it a thought.. How bout i take out whats causing the problem.. so i took out the lan card. Once that was out. i thought, what does the computer need to boot.. so i took off the extra drive( the ide cables and the power cable.. thanks to the manual i know the diffrence). and Supprisingly it Booted up. So then i hooked up the extra drive and the power cable. tried it.. it booted up once again i had hope ( there were like 4 reboots durin this process..). Now that i was satisfied.. i put the lan card back.. and Wallaaaaa... Lol

I Still havee no CLue what happend.. im guessing it was something to do with the lan card.. that gave the erroor or something.. Can some one explain, And i was taking a look at my motherboad.. and im thinking of getting a new graphics card(im guessing another topic..) and i found its AGP.. Besides that.. can someone recomend me on weather i should overclock my computer or not.. if you have a software that shows all my stats that would help..

Beside all that.. i was wondering if someone could explain what happened to my comptuer.. and comment on above pleasee..

THaNKK alL YOU WHO WERE Supportve in this topic.. and that just left a small post.. I wana thank all of you to getting my computer back to normal..

You guyz are the best.. :whistling: :help: :help: :blink:

Advertisements

user23

user23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I did make another topic on video card help..(knowing my expertiese.. heheh)

http://www.geekstogo...rd-t164232.html

But i will also be in touch with this one as well, because im urging to find out what happened.. and if some one could anwser some of the questions above.. THankz a bunch

Joker1337

Joker1337

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Good to hear it's working. It sounds to me like your LAN card or the IDE cable were indeed loose.

As far as overclocking goes, I'd be very careful if I were you. Study up on what makes the machine you own tick first. OC'ing is sorta a cultish movement and you will likely void every warranty in your computer that means anything the minute you start to crank the CPU past it's designed clock speeds. If you're willing to accept that fact and to learn enough about your hardware to be able to put in the cooling systems and such that OC'ers tend to need, you can probably start blowing cash on components that you burn out while going Warp 10.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
OCing a system can produce speed improvements...but it all depends on your system components AND the guy behind settings doing the tweaking...better get yourself up to speed before doing it...there are overclockers forums that you could join and educate yourself...

heres a good link to see the reviews on three motherboards and their overclocking capabilities ...it will give you a idea on whats involved...

Edited by happyrck, 17 July 2007 - 09:15 AM.