Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2 Copies of XP in same computer want to reformat

• Please log in to reply

CRazzym3x

CRazzym3x

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
My computer was running slow for months now and I was getting tired of it being that way so I decided I needed to reformat because running 3-4 spy ware and anti viruses wouldn't fix it. (Not at the same time) So I decided to reformat, I started reading about how to do this and found out that the best way was to put the Windows XP CD that came with my computer and reinstalling it and when it asked what partition I would delete C:. I tried this but the problem was that I couldn't delete it since some XP files needed for installation were there. I ended up making a mess and my Windows stoped working so all i could do was re-installing it. So I did after alot of trouble I finally got it working but I ended up with 2 windows installed, I reinstalled all of my drivers and all of my programs were still there, so I didnt do what I really wanted to do. Reformat my C: Drive, and now I have 2 windows and my computer is still slow.

I want to delete everything in my computer and reinstall windows again.

I have a windows original CD and my drivers CD aswell. How can I do this?

Thanks
CRazzym3x

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i assume that by "put the cd in" that you did this from within windows? or did you put the cd in...restart the PC and boot directly to the cd?

CRazzym3x

CRazzym3x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I booted from the CD got the blue message with the options and you had to click "Enter" and "R" and "L" depending or F3 to quit etc.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
and it gave you an error when you tried to delete the partition?

is this a full windows disk or a system recovery disk? (like the type you would get with a dell or HP computer)

CRazzym3x

CRazzym3x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
It came with a dell so I am guessing its a recovery. But when I chose the install options it sayd, Upgrade or New Install.

Its a red disk saying:
Operating System
Already installed~....

Reinstalation DVD
This software is already installed on your computer. Only use this DVD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell PC.~~

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
AH...what's the model on the computer?

CRazzym3x

CRazzym3x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Dell XPS M1710

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://support.dell....e.htm#wp1306143 here's a link directly to dell's steps on restoring the PC back to factory defaults with the disk they gave you...(if that link doesn't automatically bring you to the right spot...it's litterally the last thing on that page)

CRazzym3x

CRazzym3x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok ill look into it and follow those isntructions thanks allot dsenette!

CRazzym3x

CRazzym3x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hmm thats what I was doing but thats how I ended up with 2 windows and it didnt delete all my files. Is there anyway to delete my HD and then just boot from the CD and install on a fresh new HD?