Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blocking site trackers

• Please log in to reply

TACPDN

TACPDN

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, I know they're not harmful or pose any real privacy concerns, but I'm still a privacy freak and would like to at least know how to block site trackers from seeing the city/state where I came from. Is there any way of doing this without resorting to putting them in my hosts file? (or using a proxy. I don't even know how to set up proxies or anything either, I guess it might be useful to know) I already have a bunch of tracking sites in my hosts file, but there are a lot of them and there's no way I can add them all.

I know you can stop webmasters from seeing the website that referred you, so I'm hoping there's something simple like that. I'm using the latest Firefox.

Any other tips on increasing privacy are welcome.

Thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try "SpywareBlaster". It's free and every PC should be running it:

http://www.javacools...areblaster.html

TACPDN

TACPDN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Cool, I installed it already. I like it's prevention approach (vs. fix approach). I used to have ad-aware, but then I switched to spybot. Neither of them ever found/find anything bad (just stuff like doubleclick.com and stuff, which I now have in my hosts file).

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

like to at least know how to block site trackers from seeing the city/state where I came from.

Even if you hide this info, the webmaster can still do a trace on your IP addy, if desired.
Block third party referrer cookies, if your software allows, to prevent the webmaster from knowing what link brought you in to the site.
Johanna