Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drive will not recognize data disks

• Please log in to reply

wilzn2

wilzn2

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have an HP Pavilion Media Center Desktop computer. My main CD/DVD drive, which is basically the only one I use (I never use the DVD-ROM) has started to act suspiciously.

First, when I would try to add data to a disk during my weekly backup of important files, the drive would hesitate opening the disk. Then it got to the point that I had to try it several times before the disk would finally be read. Eventually, I gave up and used a new disk, as I thought perhaps it was just a disk problem.

But now I am basically having the trouble with all data disks I have, no matter the brand, no matter if it is CD-R or CD-RW. The drive seems to work fine when I insert a disk with photo files on it. But it will not recognize data disks, or blank disks.

The light will come on on the drive when I insert a disk, and will blink as if it is trying to read the disk. Then the light will go off and it stops.

HP was very helpful and suggested I try Microsoft's AutoPlay Repair Tool, which gave me this report:

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2007-07-09 12:28:27]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: Problems
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Legacy AutoPlay Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

I also tried PC Doctor, and when it tried to test the CD drive, it asked for a data disk to be inserted. When I did that, of course, it wouldn't recognize my data disk, so I could not complete the test.

I have also tried cleaning the drive with a CD drive cleaning disk. That played like an audio disk and said it completed the cleaning, but no luck with the data disks. I have checked ----- the disks themselves are not very scratched or dirty.

I have also reinstalled the drivers. All device manager info shows the drive is working correctly.

Any ideas save buying a new drive?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Replace the drive. Laser's probably on the way out. Because they're so cheap these days its not worth messing around trying to get that one working again.

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
How difficult is it to replacea drive ourselves?

Does brand matter?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
simple to do and its only about 10 minutes to swap out the old drive and install ...a good one costs about $30.00
I like the Lite-on drives...but there are lots of other burners that are good too

Edited by happyrck, 10 July 2007 - 09:02 AM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
just remember when replacing a burner you may not be able to use your current burning software unless you get a drive by the same company and then you still may have to remove your old software and install the software with the new drive.... This only really applies if you got the drive oem... ( not in a box or preinstalled in your computer )

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

just remember when replacing a burner you may not be able to use your current burning software unless you get a drive by the same company and then you still may have to remove your old software and install the software with the new drive.... This only really applies if you got the drive oem... ( not in a box or preinstalled in your computer )

this is not so at all...having replaced or added a hundered drives I've never once had to reinstall the burning software for the drive to function...using several different brands (at least 6 different) and 99 % of those drives were OEM

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If using Nero 5, you will need a new Nero copy, these are tied to specific drives. If using Nero 6, its generic so any CD unit should work with it.

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
OK now I am frustrated.

I called my HP warranty people and after a bunch of "diagnostic" tests on my computer, they told me the drive is not under warranty because the Recovery CD worked in the drive.

They told me that it is a software problem with my data disks, and that it is not covered under warranty. The only way they will replace the drive is if it completely fails, not just if it doesn't read data.

I told them other experts had told me this happens alot when the drive is going out.

They didn't buy it. What a waste of money for the extended warranty!!!!

So, now I get a new drive, right? And it does not have to be the same brand/type, right?

I am nervous about doing this myself, even though we have quite a bit of computer knowledge, we've never replaced hardware before.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here for instructions on how to do it...its for a dell but they all replace the same..IE unplug the drive ...remove screws holding it in the case..slide out old drive ...slide in new drive...attach screws to hold it in case plug the ide and power cables into the drive put the side cover back on plug the computer into the wall and fire it up...
and you can use any kind of cd/dvd burner drive you like...
here is a decent ..fast cd/dvd burner for $32.00...look here

The only way they will replace the drive is if it completely fails, not just if it doesn't read data.

???? what the.....

might want to send them a email letting them know YOU WILL NEVER..EVER buy anything with their name on it again..
I have had more problems with HP than any other brand in the last few years...(clients computer and printers)...seems like they are just getting worse and worse

Edited by happyrck, 11 July 2007 - 08:37 AM.

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the info.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps using the "send files to" method of transferring files to my CDs is somehow messing up the disks after awhile.

Has anyone else had trouble using that method instead of using actual CD burning software, like Sonic?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I don't use or recommend "packet writing " software like INCD...burn all your backup using one of the burning programs like Nero or Sonic...
I have had clients use the packet writing to do their backups only to discover (to their horror)...when they need to get at their data...they can not read them at all ...