Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Word "Start" on start menu--just green box

• Please log in to reply

lisanbel

lisanbel

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This morning my HP Pavilion dv5000 Media Laptop had problems. The bottom half of the desktop was blue, as if there was a toolbar problem. There was no start menu or anything at the bottom of the desktop that was visible, just blue. I could connect to Explorer/the web fine, but I only saw one half of the screen and had to scroll down. I finally maneuvered enough and the entire screen became fine, but now the START button does not say anything. It is just green. I have to click and wait about thirty seconds for it to even work, and the entire speed of start up has slowed tremendously. I hear background noise like it does when it is working and trying to connect, but everything is terribly sluggish.

Everything was fine last night while surfing the web.

Advertisements

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
At first you should test your laptop with antivirus software.
Then check your video card.

lisanbel

lisanbel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, I am clueless as to how to check my video card. I have the installation cd's of my system. Should I just re-install? I tried to do a system restore, and the message says there is no restore point.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Now I'm not sure about video card already, try to check your hd. But before try to change the resolution.
You can test your hd with special software or with win utilities. For example, right click on My computer-> chose disk->right click->Properties->Tools->Check Now, check "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" and Start.

lisanbel

lisanbel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your advice. Before I received this email from you, I had already done a PC Recovery that I found on my laptop. Amazing. I lost a few documents but, oh well. Everything is running better. My email is weird, though, with having to re-enter my username and password for every little thing. For instance, I cannot delete messages now from my email without re-entering my username and pw. I think it has something to do with firewalls or something because my norton antivirus keeps popping up and saying something about adding or changing rules for firewalls. I guess my security settings are too high.