Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have comcast internet service on the computer I have right now, a Systemax Microsoft Windows 98 Second edition. I am trying to hook the internet up to my laptop which is a Inspiron 1100 Microsoft Windows XP. Now when I hook the internet up to the laptop a ding noise plays and then nothing happens. Then at the right bottom hand corner of the laptop a little icon with 2 computers and a x says Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged. Does anyone have any idea how I can hook the internet up to my laptop. For the systemax, all I have is the internet plugged in the back without a phonewire needed. Do I need to hook a phonewire up to the laptop in order for it to work? Someone please help!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
"Hook up the internet" isn't a 100% logical statement

you say you've got comcast...so you've got a cable connection to the internet...which means you have a cable modem in your house....HOW does that cable modem connect to the PC that DOES work with the internet connection? is it cable that looks like a fat phone line? or a USB cable?

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It's a white cable that hooks up from the cable modem to the computer. It hooks up to the back of the tower in one of two slots.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. A white cable that goes directly from the modem to the computer?

Have a look at these images below, and tell me which looks most like the cable you see...

Ethernet

Coaxial Cable

USB

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It's a USB cable.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did the modem come with a cd or anything like that?

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It did but the comcast person took it with him.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I would call Comcast and see if they will send you a CD. There's nothing special on that CD, so there's no reason for the install technician to take it with him.

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Alright thanks.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sure thing, let us know how things turn out :whistling:

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
If you're trying to use both the USB and Ethernet connections on the cable modem, I don't think that will work. On mine it's one or the other, not both.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I'm under the impression that there is only a USB cable connected from the modem to the computer... Is that correct?

Your theory is correct, it will not work with both connected as far as I know.