Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Hard Drive Speeds

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
And finally the problem is completely solved! The onboard SATA ports must be faulty as I have recently installed a PCI SATA card and I have not had a single error appear in the event manager since. I think I mentioned this in the first post as a possible fix, maybe I should just follow my instincts...

Advertisements

mredz

mredz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For the record I have this exact same motherboard & have struck the same issue. I assume that it is therefore the hardware itself that is the problem. As I have tried two of the exact same drives with the same outcome.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi mredz... By chance I stumbled on my own thread whilst searching for a similar problem... To find you had posted.

You can see this all happened some time ago. The only thing I can say is get rid of the motherboard, it gave me nothing but hassle (this thread being just one).

Eventually the PCI SATA card failed, and I saved up and built a new computer.

Cheers

Troy

mredz

mredz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[bleep] sounds like a real dud. I wonder if we have two motherboards that suffer from the same fault or if the model is fundamentally flawed?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It's hard to say, I've seen models working perfectly fine, but in particular I've noticed the most problems I've had are with the chipset - the SIS 661FX. This chipset on quite a few different manufacturer's boards has caused me grief. I also make the point that they were all designed as "budget" boards...

On the other side of the occasion, there are others out there still running nice and stable. Go figure.

Troy