Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 2000 screwed

• Please log in to reply

LIZMERRILL

LIZMERRILL

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I am using windows 2000 for my box. My problems started intially with the observation that
when i would access a site that i would normally log into, it would not allow me to log in, site requested that I upgrage to IE 6.0, the site's message indicated that i was using IE 5.01! I have been using IE 6.0 for the longest time!

After that I did a Windows Update and downloaded all the latest patches, 42 in all. After rebooting, the system is really messed up now.

Eg., when I bring up google, i cannot type any request into the search box, blinking cursor line does not appear in the search box, same goes for every other site, that requires input via text, i.e., typing info etc. Also, my control panel is all messed up as well.

What do you suggest, HELP PLEASE.

Liz Merrill

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What version of Internet Explorer are you using now?

LIZMERRILL

LIZMERRILL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i am using version 6.01 of IE now.
I downloaded all the required updates from ms thru windows updates, then problems really began i.e., when i accessed control panel, add/remove programs, it was just messed up. Also, when i accessed the net, and went to google, could not type any terms into search box, because, i could have a blinking vertical cursor in box, could not type, also same problem with other apps. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Liz

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would try to repair windows in two steps.

1: Click start > run. Type sfc /scannow and press enter. You will be asked to insert the windows installation disk for the process to take place. if this doesn't work:

2: Perform win2000 repair installation. Look for details and instructions in this link.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Did you Remove anything in Add/Remove Programs?