Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Windows is starting" takes very long time

• Please log in to reply

montev

montev

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I boot up my pc it will go to the screen "Windows is starting" and will take several minutes to start up and leave that screen. I have an XP machine.
Also, I don't know if this is related at all but sometimes my monitor won't come out of hibernate. It will go to screen saver and then will go to hibernate...every once in a while it won't come out of hibernate. I will hit alt-cntr-del, move the mouse around, hit all different keys on the keyboard but it won't come back on. I've even had to reboot the pc several times before it would come back on.

Thanks in advance...

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
To try to solve the delay when "Windows is starting", temporarily disable any on-access antivirus you may have then run the disk defragmenter on drive C: (Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter).

For your hibernate problem, do yourself a favor and disable hibernation, It chews up 200+ megs for most machines. and if you want to turn off certain fuctions on a timed basis, adjust the power settings, and use standby instead of hibernation.

Edited by pip22, 10 July 2007 - 12:35 PM.

montev

montev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have already disabled the AV and have defragged....that was the first thing I did when I started having this problem. But it didn't come out of the "Windows is starting" screen any faster.

As for the monitor not coming out of hibernation....could it be a USB problem even though the monitor is plugged in with a parallel port?