Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange coloured lines

• Please log in to reply

WDave40

WDave40

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think this problem is caused by my graphics card or monitor, I don't know exactly what is wrong though. I have already tried updating drivers and cleaning and re-seating my graphics card but I still have the problem. The lines appear on my screen and sometimes go only to reappear a few minutes later. Also whnever I play a game it will crash within a couple of minutes and my PC will either reset or I will get a VPU error. A screenshot below shows the lines. The problem started one day, and I hadn't changed anything on my system for weeks I don't know why it started happening. I have a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card and a Samsung syncmaster753DFX monitor.

Posted Image

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The fact you were able to grab a screen capture proves it's not your monitor. Sure looks like a video card problem. Wouldn't hurt to update the drivers, or maybe underclock the RAM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Judging by the green cast as well as the lines, I would say your monitor is faulty, not the graphics card. The monitor is of the CRT tube type, which relies on three colour-guns (red, green & blue). If any one of the guns fail, the result is a colour-cast such as in your picture. A quick confirmation that it's your monitor at fault is to try a different one in it's place if you can borrow one.