Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Strange coloured lines

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think this problem is caused by my graphics card or monitor, I don't know exactly what is wrong though. I have already tried updating drivers and cleaning and re-seating my graphics card but I still have the problem. The lines appear on my screen and sometimes go only to reappear a few minutes later. Also whnever I play a game it will crash within a couple of minutes and my PC will either reset or I will get a VPU error. A screenshot below shows the lines. The problem started one day, and I hadn't changed anything on my system for weeks I don't know why it started happening. I have a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card and a Samsung syncmaster753DFX monitor.

Posted Image

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,490 posts
The fact you were able to grab a screen capture proves it's not your monitor. Sure looks like a video card problem. Wouldn't hurt to update the drivers, or maybe underclock the RAM.

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Judging by the green cast as well as the lines, I would say your monitor is faulty, not the graphics card. The monitor is of the CRT tube type, which relies on three colour-guns (red, green & blue). If any one of the guns fail, the result is a colour-cast such as in your picture. A quick confirmation that it's your monitor at fault is to try a different one in it's place if you can borrow one.