Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system32 file missing

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I need to check with someone, will ask them to reply to this as soon as

Best to wait for them as it is probably a simple tweak now

Advertisements

toffeymen

toffeymen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok thats great once again thanks for your time i really appreiciate it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi toffeymen...

First let's see if your data is ok. In the new install, open "My Computer" and double click on "Local Disk C:". Open the "Documents and Settings" folder. You should see folders in there for every account on the machine...even from the original install. Open the folder with your old user account name and see if your data is within.

Then open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon (Classic View for Control Panel). Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the properties window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini) Copy the contents of that window and Paste it here for me.

wannabe1

toffeymen

toffeymen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hi there i opened the files u asked me to even the orignal install but do not see any of my files there, i have not wiped my hard drive so i no they must be there somewhere, but dont seem to be in either the new install or the original, any further help please

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Then open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon (Classic View for Control Panel). Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the properties window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini) Copy the contents of that window and Paste it here for me.

How about THAT part?

If you remember the exact name of one of your saved files, try doing a search for it. Search hidden files and folders, too. Hard to say where Windows may have placed them.

toffeymen

toffeymen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
just realised my orignal file before new install is there but when i click it it says access denied any way of getting round this and never set any passwords on it either

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll need to Take Ownership of the files or folders you want to recover.