Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewall issue

• Please log in to reply

McKnight

McKnight

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I want to play games online, but I am having trouble with my firewall restricting me. I know that I need to open the following ports:

UDP 88, UDP 3704 & TCP 3704

However, I am not sure whether I need to open these through the Microsoft firewall, the wireless internet firewall, or through the McAfee firewall. If it makes it any easier, I was able to add a single friend by adding the IP address of his XBOX through McAfee.

Any help would greatly be appreciated... thanks.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Any firewall that you have between your xbox and the internet are going to need the ports opened up. If you have a wireless router that you use to connect to the internet then open them there, if your xbox is connected to the router you should be all set.

Your PC settings should not affect the xbox as long as its plugged into the router.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you...

I am actually using a wireless router; connected via the 360's wireless adapter. Therefore, where should I go from there (i.e. firewall settings for the router, PC, etc.)?

Thanks again...

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ok, with the 360 connected to the router, you will have to open the ports on the router, and thats it. From there you should be able to connect out.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Okay thanks...

However, the 360 is not actually connected to the PC; it is reading the signal wirelessly...

Also, if you could clear one more thing up please:

I manually added an IP address (allowed list) in McAfee and that allowed access to my friend's XBOX. Why did this work using McAfee as opposed to using the router's firewall?

Thanks again...

Edited by McKnight, 10 July 2007 - 02:16 PM.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
The update:

I tried with the best of my knowledge and my poor ability to follow directions to create the port forwarding (with the Static IP address), but inevitably failed.

The only thing that was an issue with my XBOX was that my NAT was strict (don't know the exact meaning).

Anyway, I called Netgear and the tech ran me through what I needed to do; inevitably, I turned off the SPI Firewall and created a DMZ for the router (given to the XBOX). I was told that the other firewalls I have would be more than enough; in addition (because I am paranoid), I turned up the security level on McAfee.

Everything works fine as of right now; I based everything I did off what the rep said. If anyone has anymore advice/input I would greatly appreciate that as well.

Thanks again...