Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cd & DVD burner will not recognize discs?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Today I tried going into MY COMPUTER to check out the contents of a disc. When I click onto the CD writer icon or DVD icon, it says to please put disc in despite the fact one is already in there. I have tried several and ntohing seems to work. However, while using Nero Express to make audio discs today, everything seemed to be working ok. Why is it not being recognized when I go to my computer and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Laser's most likely packed up on the reading side and the writing lasers are still working. Easy solution to replace the drive.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Laser's most likely packed up on the reading side and the writing lasers are still working. Easy solution to replace the drive.

Strange as I have only had this HP DVD burner for less than two weeks...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Notice use of "most likely", and not "definitely". :whistling: Even new bits develop problems in two weeks.
So if its under warranty, send it back and receive a new drive. If the new one fails, as well, you have a system issue.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Notice use of "most likely", and not "definitely". :whistling: Even new bits develop problems in two weeks.
So if its under warranty, send it back and receive a new drive. If the new one fails, as well, you have a system issue.

Believe me, I appreciate your help, but I want to make this clear: both my DVD burner and my CD writer (two seperate drives) quit being recognized at the same time. If it were just one drive, I would believe it may have went bad, but for two to quit at the same time, I find that interesting. Also, let me point this out. I had Nero 7 trial installed. The DVD writer came with Nero 6 oem and I started getting a message saying a certiain .dll file was missing. Googling it, I found many others were having the same problem. I went and use a tool available from Nero to complete erase Nero 7 remanants as well as the version 6.0. Reinstalled it and everything worked fine. I then installed Roxio based on someone's recommendation and found I did not like it and deleted it and that is when the problems started. Hope this bit of information helps.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Ah, you never said you had two separate drives and that they've both stopped working at the same time. Unfortunately I can only go by what I am told and most people only have one drive in their computer.

If the problems started after Roxio graced your computer with its presence, try a system restore to before Roxio was installed. System Restore is under Programs->Accessories->System Tools. This will not affect any work you have in My Documents.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Ah, you never said you had two separate drives and that they've both stopped working at the same time. Unfortunately I can only go by what I am told and most people only have one drive in their computer.

If the problems started after Roxio graced your computer with its presence, try a system restore to before Roxio was installed. System Restore is under Programs->Accessories->System Tools. This will not affect any work you have in My Documents.

Again, thanks for your suggestions in trying to help me. Finally, I got it back to normal. I tried going back to an earlier system restore point and even though it did it, for some reason I still showed Roxio being there. It was not listed in Add/Remove, but was listed in my program files. I deleted all of that, ran Registry Mechanic, rebooted and the drives would still not work. Finally I went and Googled "Removing Roxio" and saw many others were having the same problems I was. I downloaded a tool from Microsoft and that did it. Thank God! I will NEVER use Roxio again, instead sticking with Nero as I should have done in the first place. Again, thanks much.