Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copy programs to a new computer

• Please log in to reply

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
My dads friend just bought a new computer and asked me to transfer all the files and programs to the new computer, The only problem is that it is very difficult to copy all the files from the old computers programs to the new one and still have them work.

The new computer is vista the old is 98. I have seen several program that would copy everything over but they all cost money.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Programs cannot be transferred properly without use of the original installation media. Programs that claim to be able to move programs from drive to drive can usually only do it, in your case, in Win98. They will not transfer programs installed into Win98 into Vista or any other version of Windows.
Many of them make copious undocumented registry changes needed for their operation, and refuse to work without said entries.

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Ok, that really sucks. He does not have any of the original CDs.

Cybertimber2007

Cybertimber2007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
You should be able to move the files via any method you can think of. Email, FTP, online storage, CD, DVD, Flash Drive, etc.

Programs however (espically when moving to Vista) MUST BE THE MOST RECENT VISTA COMPATABLE VERSION.
Cannot stress that enough.

if you're moving from a 98 machine there have been at least 4 versions of all those programs.

Edited by Cybertimber2007, 10 July 2007 - 06:11 PM.