Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless network w/o a desktop computer

• Please log in to reply

dreed2440

dreed2440

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I currently have a home network wherein my wireless router is connected to an older desktop PC that is very seldom, if ever, turned on because it overheats. I use a laptop in the downstairs area as our main computer and want to add a second laptop. Is it possible to run the network w/o the desktop PC? In other words, the router connected to the cable modem w/o any hardwired computer connection. If so, is it also possible to set up a printer wirelessly for the network? I'm somewhat knowledgeable with computers, but not in any detail.
Thanks for any help...Dave

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If all of the PCs/laptops are connected to the same router -- which in turn is connected to the cable modem -- then they (the computers) should all work independently of each other as far as internet-access is concerned. Your existing laptop should be able to connect to the internet even if your main PC is turned off -- and that applies to any new laptop you may want to add later. If they don't work independently of each other then you haven't connected them up properly.

The main reason you need to set up a wired connection first when installing a wireless router is so that you can configure the wireless options such as a security method and password -- if you've already done this and don't intend to change any wireless settings on your router, you don't have to have a PC wired to it. But if at some time in the future you want to change your router's wireless settings, you'll need a wired connection to do it because if you try to change those settings wirelessly there's the potential for losing your wireless link in which case you'll be stuck to complete the task. In any event, should you need to change the router's wireless settings it would be quite easy to connect a laptop to it with an ethernet cable when the need arises.

To set up a printer to use wirelessly you would first need to buy a printer with a built-in wireless controller.

Edited by pip22, 11 July 2007 - 07:54 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

To set up a printer to use wirelessly you would first need to buy a printer with a built-in wireless controller.

or a Wireless Print Server...might be cheaper than buying a whole new printer...though...they aren't the cheapest devices...but i haven't priced any printers with wireless capabilities lately

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I use wireless printers in a couple different networks that I manage.

My home network has a printer with an internal wireless controller like pip22 was talking about. I have the HP Deskjet 5850 which has probably been replaced with a newer model by hp. But I have no problems with it, it's fairly easy to setup and once you have it setup you're done with it.

On another network, I have a print server (D-link DP-311P) setup on an old printer that doesn't even have usb capabilities. My recommendation if you go the print server route, get one that has a RJ-45 port on it. the DP311P doesn't have one of these ports and is a pain to setup. But like my wireless printer, once you have it setup your done with it.

Thats just my two cents worth on it. I'm sure someone else will chime in their thoughts as well.