Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hijackthis, how to begin

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I like this place and your methord so much that I have decided that your product is well worth learning up on, and so:

At first glances, there are processes running any system which are universal to that os, so that when I look at a Hijackthis log I should be able to ignore them and move on to the less known ones. Can you just paste here the ones that show up both for top and bottom parts of the log for Xp pro and Xp family.

Also, if I do take up the idea of making sense of your software, how should I go about it, is there on this site a place that explains the log when normal, - I only say this because I have put together my computer so that taskmanager shows the bare minimum processes(making it dead easy to remember and see something odd if it turns up)

Hope this post generates interest but seeing that there are others in greater need, take as much time as you like to reply.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hijackthis is not Geeks2Go's product--if that is what you mean. It is a tool people use (because more than anything else) it makes it very easy for people to show others what they have running on their system.

It was written and developed (still being developed) by merjin bellekom

http://www.spywarein...rijn/index.html

There are other programs--even some might argue better ones-- or combinations of programs, but none have the Start, click, copy _-- HELP functionality of hijackthis.

There are a number of tutorials out there, but they are all basically the same thing

http://www.bleepingc...showtutorial=42

Is one...most look exactly like it...been meaning to write one myself for some time with a little more emphasis on how, rather than what but haven't gotten around to it.

The drawback to hijackthis is it requires knowing what is good and what is bad--and while that was not so difficult back a couple years ago, the constant metamorphasis that is spyware makes it trickier. Really, the best hijackthis log readers are those who have seen so many logs they can read them in their sleep.

They can sense what is "out of place" and focus on what works. I see a lot of people making bad calls on hijackthis logs simply because software developers will do wierd things every once in a while...for example, Intel is putting a driver file in the appinit section, printer companies love to put their software in the windows directory....and BHOs...don't get me started on BHOs.....

Here's the real beauty of hijackthis....many people call it an experts tool, and to some extent it is, but there is really very little you can screw up as far as your Operating System is concerned.

Most things...MOST THINGS...recorded by the program are things added by applications, so while you can screw up your programs, your OS is fairly safe.

If you want a starting point, these are four hijackthis logs taken from a newly installed system. As you can see, there is very little going on when you first get your computer.

win98

winme

win2k

winxp

Edited by gerryf, 11 April 2005 - 07:12 PM.