Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a computer, Will this work?

• Please log in to reply

ZachTech

ZachTech

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello everyone,

I'm about to build a computer, and before ordering any parts I would like some advice on whether or not these parts will work together with out bottle necking, conflict, etc. If not maybe someone could suggest something else

This is what I have in mind:

Ultra Black MicroFly Aluminum Micro ATX Tower Case with Front USB, FireWire and Audio Ports

Ultra V-Series 400-Watt Power Supply

Acer AL2216WBD 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Ultra-fast 5ms, WSXGA+ 1680x1050, DVI, VGA, Black, VESA 100mm

Turtle Beach Montego 7.1 Dolby Digital Live Surround PCI Sound Card

Microsoft Optical Desktop Keyboard and Mouse Combo with Fingerprint Reader

Ultra / Fire / Socket 775 / P4 3.8Ghz / Copper Core / CPU Fan

Intel Pentium D 940 3.20GHz / 4MB Cache / 800MHz FSB / Dual-Core / Presler / OEM / Socket 775 / Processor

Sony DRU170C Retail DVD Burner - 18x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x32x CD-R/RW, Internal

Hiro H50069 PCI Wireless Network Adapter - 54Mbps, 802.11g

XFX GeForce 7300 GT / 512MB GDDR2 / PCI Express / Ultra-Silent Cooling / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card

Seagate / 320GB / 7200 / 16MB / SATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive

OCZ Dual Channel Gold XTC 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)

Mach Speed MS945G-GLV Intel Socket 775 MicroATX Motherboard / Audio / Video / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA

thanks for any help anyone can offer.

ZachTech :whistling:

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geeks to go,
could you please post a link to each individual part, so that we are 100% sure we are looking at the EXACT same part are you and not something slightly different, but most importantly it makes it easier for us to annalize. At a quick glance the only thing I'd suggest would be a better power supply, both from a more reputable dealer and I personally don't recommend anything less then 550W just for a little extra head room for future upgrades.
James

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Ewww.......I like the monitor choice exact same model as mine works amazing!!! :whistling:

Yea as james 8970, I would get prolly a 650Watt or higher PSU because why fool around when it comes to powering the beast.

I don't really like the choice of mouse and keyboard, but ya know ur computer not mine :help: From here everything looks like it will be compatible, but if ya at least give the link to the mobo, CPU, and RAM that would definitely help.......... :blink:

ZachTech

ZachTech

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK here we go:

The site is tigerdirect.com, here's the links to the different components:

Monitor

case

Sound card

CPU Heatsink and Fan

DVD burner

Wireless Network Card

CPU

Graphics Card

Hard drive

memory / RAM

Motherboard

And how about this for a power supply?

Power supply

Would it fit in my case?

And how about this for the keyboard and mouse? :whistling:

Keyboard

Mouse

Kinda a big jump from what I had on there before he he :help:

Old keyboard and mouse

Also, do you think that the comp. would keep cool enough in a house that is usually 80-90°F?

Please let me know what you guys think of the stuff.
Thanks Zechariah :blink:

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
O yea looking good......

PSU--
The power supply u chose should work good in that case because the case says it fits a full size ATX PSU....and that's what ya picked.

Fans--
As for keeping it cool in 90*F, toss the standard fans that come with the case, and make sure to pick up some thermaltake, didn't know if ya wanted illuminated fans or not, but here's a link...

80mm Max CFM--72.5CFM

120mm Max CFM--93.7CFM

Now those baby's will blow a massive amount of air, 120mm kind of loud on full throttle, but keeps system very cool.....I have 3 thermaltake fans in my comp and my house is usually around 85*F............

Processor and Mobo--
This choices match up fine

Memory--
This is the only thing I'm concerned about.....now I don't know much about memory for computers, unfortunately....so I'm gonna throw this out there hopefully some1 will correct me if I'm wrong..............

Mobo says DDR2 supported 533/667 MHz
while.....
Memory says DDR2 800 MHz

Now I know u have the correct pins for that mobo, but I'm unsure about the speed.....sry

Heatsink--
To be honest, I like this, definitely will keep that processor cool in your hot house! :whistling: Not sure if the one ya chose is compatible with ur processor....

Case--
Nice case man, u lookin to LAN it up?

Mouse and Keyboard--
If you're gonna be gaming, I recommend a wired mouse....my friends has been killed numerous times having to replace his battery for his wireless mouse. Link to Mine, but keyboard looks good too. Awesome improvements compared to the Microsoft junk :blink:

Everything Else looks fine!!!!! Hope that helps...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello,
680W is a way overkill for your build, you probably won't ever need more then 550W, unless you plan on making large upgrades and become a hard core gamer. That being said, what are your main uses going to be for this computer?
The keyboard is a waste of money in my honest opinion, but thats completly up to you as this will be your computer not my own.
As for the mouse, remember you need to know that once the batteries die, your out a mouse unless you have a backup. I looked at the mouse and almost bought it for myself, but later decided not to because of this. The G7 has swapable batteries, but have a longer life and must be recharged frequently. Also these arn't batteries that can be bought at the store, there is a 3 year warrenty, if I remember correctly on the batteries. But then again you'd be out the mouse. I personally think that money would be best spend on better hardware for the computer itself. Again this is what I think and you can do whatever you like as it's your build.
If you want to go the Intel route I suggest other processors then the Pentium D, the E2160 or E4400 would be a better choice.
I personally don't like mATX, would you be willing to go the ATX formfactor route? Along with a new case.
On July 22nd Intel will be droping prices on thier current processors, I don't recommend anyone buy any processors till the end of the month for that reason. AMD is currently in the middle of price changes ans price fluctuations should be done by the end of the week.
Finally I highly recommend you take a look at www.newegg.com as they generally have better prices then tigerdirect.
James

Edit: Bobby beat me to the post, the memory will be downclocked (so it will work in the mobo, just at a slower speed), which is why I don't like mATX as they are generally underpowered when put up against thier ATX brother. Also the pentium D runs hot and placing it in a small case is not advisable for this reason. I was going to bring this up if you didn't want to move away from mATX.

Edited by james_8970, 11 July 2007 - 04:04 PM.

ZachTech

ZachTech

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK now, I'm trying :whistling: to stay under $900.00 on this comp (It's at about $880.00 at the current config)

So what mobo and CPU would you guys suggest for say just under $200.00 total?
(It does'nt matter what brand I'm not set on Intel or anything :blink: )

Now I'm thinking of maybe getting a full size ATX tower such as:

ATX tower

Thanks so much for the help :help:
Zechariah

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What do you plan on using this computer for?
James

Edit: This is what I recommend for a your build.

Montitor 200$
memory 100$
hard drive 80$
DVD drive 38$
PSU 110$
Mouse+keyboard 22$
Processor 170$
motherboard 130$
graphics card 85$
pick whatever ATX case you like.
I have quickly put this together, if you have any questions or think I have made any mistakes let me know.

Edited by james_8970, 11 July 2007 - 09:52 PM.

ZachTech

ZachTech

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK how about this:

DVD drive $31.99

ATX tower $25.99

Seagate hard drive $42.99

MoBo $99.99 after Rebate

Graphics card $99.99

PSU $59.99 after rebate

Keyboard $44.99

Mouse $14.99

RAM $92.00 after rebate

Processor $169.99

Plus the 22" monitor from Tiger Direct that James suggested for $179.99 after rebate.

Total: $950.39

I'd probably hold off till the end of the month when they lower the prices :blink:

Is that PSU to cheap? :whistling:

I chose the Seagate 80GB hard drive because I've had a bad experience with Western Digital and I've read that Seagate is better(please let me know what you guys think about WD) and I'll use 80GB as a OS drive and probably get a second bigger drive later for media storage.

Also I chose the "BIOSTAR V7302GS56 GeForce 7300GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card " because it has a better review then the "HIS" card about games.

Now I'm actually configuring & building this computer for my father it will be for mostly Internet, watching videos, playing a few games(nothing really high tech), and maybe a little video editing.

Let me Know what you guys think, thanks alot for the help.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Actually the video card I recommend is a fair amount better then the card you keep suggesting, also it's cheaper.
Yes the PSU is a cheap model.
WD is just as good as any other drive, people have a bad experience with on and then spread it around. You have a equal change of getting a lemon with all the companies.
Also are you running vista or XP, for the uses that you have mentioned 1GB might be more then enough.
I don't think your dad will like the keyboard, people older then 25 tend to hate LED's, I'm 18 and hate them, but if thats your thing go for it.
James

ZachTech

ZachTech

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well thanks for all your help, I think we are going to wait a while before purchasing.

Thanks again Zechariah