Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys Wireless Adapter Randomly Drops Signal

• Please log in to reply

Joker1337

Joker1337

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok,

I'm running a Linksys WMP54G installed in a PCI slot and it's randomly disconnecting from the network. The adapter maintains a strong signal, then continues to maintain a 54Mbps signal, then disconnects. It's literally made online gaming impossible (selfish of me, I know.) I'm hooking into a Linksys WRT54G-CC (stuck with Comcast in this area.)

During a disconnect, none of the other three PC's in the house experience any problems. One is directly wired into the system, one uses 802.11g and one 802.11b. The problem PC is fixed if it is hard-wired into the router, but the owner of the house won't let me permanently run a 150' cable around the house (note, the router is 15-20' from me, separated by one wood-joisted floor and laptops placed on the tower for my problem PC do not experience slow-downs when this thing drops connection.)

Disconnects tend to come in waves, as many as 10 in five minutes. I get long stable periods for a day or two, then all [bleep] breaks loose and I can't stay online at all. I've replaced the card to no avail.

Ping logs look like this during a disconnect:

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Hardware error.
Destination host unreachable.

During such an event, the event viewer logs a DHCP error (number 1001). Log follows:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP server) for the Network Card with network address 0014BF7B143C. The following error occurred: The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Anyone have any suggestions, I've been trying to fix this for over a month now. Called every techie who made a piece of stuff in my box, no luck.

Advertisements

Joker1337

Joker1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I think I may have tracked it down. Had an inspiration this afternoon and so far, so good. I think (key word: think) that the power cable from the surge-protector to the PSU and monitors was causing some RF interference with the adapter.

I've moved my setup and been very careful about laying it out so that there's no power cables with a few inches of the antenna and I haven't had a kick so far (5/10,000 packets lost.) I'm gonna defrag the disks overnight with a few DirectX apps running too pull power over the lines and look at the logs in the morning. Hopefully, all will be well.

Joker1337

Joker1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sort of a diary I'm keeping here...

The moving of the PC didn't work. I got fed up, ripped out the Linksys card I bought 29 days ago, returned it and bought the top-of-the-line Buffalo. I stuck that into the case and the signal strength is nice and clean, full 54 Mbps and 4 to 5 bars at any given point. The router still, however, refuses to renew the lease on occasion.

I can predict now when I might get disconnected, I believe it happens when the router or the card, not sure which, won't renew the lease on the hour. I'm not sure what effect turning the lease length up to say - eight hours might have or how to tell if the router or the PC is at fault for not renewing the lease. The signal's strength is still strong when the lease doesn't get renewed, don't have a statistic yet to say how often this happens, but I've observed it twice in 12 hours of operation.

I can tinker around with the card more, but I think that it's working as well as it can at this point. I can't get into the router to adjust things like the lease time though because it's rented from the ISP by the management and at some point its passwords got reset from defaults (and the management doesn't know what they got reset to) - end result I can't login to 192.168.0.1 on my network with Comcast, LAN, or Linksys standard passwords. Comcast is supposedly coming to fix that, but I doubt they'll be around until late next week and I'm pretty sure I can fix it in under ten minutes with a working pw.

Anyone want to confess to knowing how to get around or reset the password on a Linksys WRT54G? Hardware based resets are acceptable if that's the only way it's done.

Edited by Joker1337, 13 July 2007 - 06:49 AM.