Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

Apollon

Apollon

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there,

I have a Win XP Pro SP2 machine (2002 version) and suddenly 2 days ago it gave me a blue screen.
The exact message was: "STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80537002, 0xF3D4FC98, 0x00000000)

Below there was a message saying:

"Begining dump of physical memory"
"Physical memory dump complete"

I would really appreciate some help here because I can't really figure out what the problem is.

Thanx!

Edited by Apollon, 11 July 2007 - 01:51 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
There are several possible causes for a STOP: 0x0000008E error, but one which keeps cropping up on the various forums is RAM -- you may have a faulty RAM module. You can test your installed RAM by running 'memtest', available as a bootable floppy from here: http://www.memtest.org/

Another possible cause is a faulty or incompatible device driver that you may have recently installed in the last couple of days.

Another cause is a so-called 'rootkit' called "Rustock" which installs itself behind your back and is impossible to find in the normal way. Apparently, Symantec has developed a free removal tool for this rootkit, so it may be worth running it. See this: http://icrontic.com/...ead.php?t=50966

Apollon

Apollon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'll follow your advice and we 'll see what happens.
Thanx for the tips.

Apollon

Apollon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did the memtest but there were no errors at all. I left memtest running thw whole night but no errors came up.

On the other hand I didn' t install a new device or a driver.

As far as the "Rustock" scenario is concerned I checked Symantec's site but I didn't find an entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\pe386" in my registry. I mention this because such an entry would be a clear indication of Rustock's presence on my PC.

The only thing I can't think of is that I had a virus problem 3 months ago but it was successfully removed by the antivirus s/w. Moreover the blue screens started 2 months after the virus incident, so I can't really see any connection there.

Any other suggestions would really help.

Thanx.