Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excessive boot up time

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I'm pretty sure the number of files I have is corresponding to how long it takes to boot up. I notice an increased time whenever I get a sizeable increase in the number of files I have, such as after downloading. It now takes at least 3 minutes before I get the login screen. Is this normal? Can anything be done about it? Originally, it took no more than 20 seconds or so.

Edited by vinny_the_hack, 11 July 2007 - 02:01 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The time it takes for the login screen to appear has nothing to do with how many files are on the system or how many startup programs are configured to start with Windows. That only affects how much time it takes for the Windows Desktop to appear after logging in. What is more likely is that your C: drive is heavily fragmented and you can remedy this by running the Disk Defragmenter after disabling your antivirus real-time protection temporarily until the defragmentation process is finished. You'll find the defragmenter utility at Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter. Remember to disable your antivirus real-time scanning though, otherwise the defragmentation process will keep restarting and never finish.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I regularly (try to) defragment my file system. It has told me it is not necessary the last three times I started the defragmentor. Any other ideas?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
XP has a built-in boot file optimization routine that should run about every 3 days when the system is idle. Many of us never leave the system idle, and the process is never run. This is part of "Idle Tasks," and can be initiated manually. I have created a shortcut to the process, and placed it in my Quick Launch. Since this is a somewhat complex string, I suggest that you paste it to the "Type the location.." box of the new shortcut wizard:

%windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Once created, initiate the process and give the system 15 minutes or so to complete the job. This may not be magic, it is entirely possible that you have additional issues. It will, however, arrange the boot files in order on the disc for best system access. This is the native process initiated by the often mythologized "Bootvis." For the ordinary user, Bootvis really does nothing more than run the native boot path optimization routine of Rundll32.

If you have added any specialized screens to the boot process, I strongly suggest that they be removed. Many problems reported because of such "eye candy."

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
So that's what happens when my system slows right down. I always wondered what it was doing. Just to be sure, I ran the process you posted above then rebooted. There was no discernable difference. Assuming you're running XP, how long does it take your system to go form initial boot to login screen? Did it used to take far less time?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
My time to log-in screen is about the same as always. The time from Log-in to Desktop varies with how many apps I have on auto-start.

Since no discernable improvement was make by Idle Tasks, we must assume that the cause of the delay is not related to simple boot file orginization.

What does the boot.ini file look like in your msconfig?
(I suggest you make NO changes to boot.ini until we look it over--better slow boot than NO boot.)

Are you running anything like Acronis or Ghost?

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I don't run anything unusual. The increased time seemed to happen over time, although most of the increase may have happened at one time. I have never touched ini, but I'll have a look at it...

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Boot.ini does not exist. I should have mentioned before that the reason I believe(d) it was related to number of files is that during most of the boot process, the disk light is pretty much on solid. It's doing excessive i/o's to the disk for some reason.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Wait! Do you mean that when you open msconfig there is literally nothing listed under the 'boot.ini' tab?

Re: excessive i/o- what is your page file setting, and how much RAM is installed?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Wait! Do you mean that when you open msconfig there is literally nothing listed under the 'boot.ini' tab?

Re: excessive i/o- what is your page file setting, and how much RAM is installed?

Advertisements

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
When I do a search for boot.ini, it is not found. Using msconfig, stuff is displayed in that tab, but looks like basic, standard stuff (won't allow C&P).

My page file is set to 1152 MB. I have 768 MB of RAM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
OK. When my system boots, I notice that my peripherals are all being activated before the log-in screen appears. It may be possible that the delay is due to hardware initialization. I suggest a test boot with nothing but the mouse--how does that go?
(if your internet cable is always plugged in, pop that out too.)
If this makes a difference, plug one thing in at a time to check the changes.

Re: page file. Common XP wisdom says either a) System Managed size, or b) 2.5 times the size of RAM with upper and lower limits the same. Don't know that this would impact boot time, but...

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Looks like I lied about how long it was taking to boot up. I timed it. from pushing the button to log-in screen is 1:40. Still, this is a lot longer than it used to be, and longer than I want it to be. :whistling: Unplugging stuff han no effect whatsoever. The XP screen comes up almost immediately and the disk light stays solid up until shortly before the log-in screen appears when it tests all connected devices. As I conjectured earlier, it is doing some heavy duty i/o to the disk during almost all of the boot-up time. Just what it is doing and why it takes so long is the question.

Edited by vinny_the_hack, 14 July 2007 - 05:36 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I just timed my system, and from button push to log-in was only 30 seconds, so I guess you do have an issue, but I'm reaching the bottom of my barrel in this regard.

Some of the things I have read about this seem to suggest XP Services.
My "Services" references:
http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm
http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

Others often mention hardware issues, specifically Hard Drive.
You may want to run the drive diagnostic that is provided by your drive manufacturer to check the condition of the drive itself.

I wish I could be of more help, by my experience is limited. Perhaps another member can help you troubleshoot this further. Sorry I didn't have the magic this time.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I just timed my system, and from button push to log-in was only 30 seconds, so I guess you do have an issue, but I'm reaching the bottom of my barrel in this regard.

Some of the things I have read about this seem to suggest XP Services.
My "Services" references:
http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm
http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

Others often mention hardware issues, specifically Hard Drive.
You may want to run the drive diagnostic that is provided by your drive manufacturer to check the condition of the drive itself.

I wish I could be of more help, by my experience is limited. Perhaps another member can help you troubleshoot this further. Sorry I didn't have the magic this time.