Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ISPs stand firm after P2P ruling

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Internet Service Providers' Association has repeated its assertion that ISPs should not be responsible for any illegal file-sharing that takes place over their networks.

Last week a Belgian court ruled that the ISP Scarlet — formerly Tiscali — had the technology available to it to block or filter copyright-infringing material being sent over its network via peer-to-peer (P2P) traffic, and had six months to start doing so.

The judgement drew praise from John Kennedy, chief executive of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), who claimed that it proved that "the internet's gatekeepers, the ISPs, have a responsibility to help control copyright-infringing traffic on their networks".

http://uk.news.yahoo...ng-20a87fa.html

Advertisements

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I dont really support piracy, nor am I against it. . .
But I think that some of the lawsuits are really un-reasonable. . .
I still dont see how it is stealing. . .
It is more sharing.
Stealing is when you take somthing!!!!
All you are doing is copying files and stuff.
Its not taking away from anyone.
What Ever. . .
Im getting sick of all the crap going around about piracy........

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
If the files being copied consist of copyrighted material, then it is stealing under existing laws. You are taking something - you are taking content that is not supposed to be free and is not licensed for distribution by the person(s) sharing the file. For the record, Geeks to Go does not support P2P programs in any form, which is stated in our Terms of Use.

We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal.

While you are not discussing P2P programs, please be aware that your views are not supported by Geeks to Go.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I dont really support piracy, nor am I against it. . .
But I think that some of the lawsuits are really un-reasonable. . .
I still dont see how it is stealing. . .
It is more sharing.
Stealing is when you take somthing!!!!
All you are doing is copying files and stuff.
Its not taking away from anyone.
What Ever. . .
Im getting sick of all the crap going around about piracy........

ok...so...if i've got a painting by a famous artist that i paid a bunch of money for....and a bunch of friends come over and say "man...i'd love to have that painting"...so i slap it onto the xerox and make a bunch of copies and distribute them...should that be legal? it's just copying the original right?....or if you come up with some great new invention....and i know how you did it...should i just be able to share those methods with everyone i know? i don't think so

"all you're doing is copying files and stuff".....this is the biggest problem with our electronic age....people think that just because something is a bunch of 1's and 0's that it's fair game and that copying it isn't a problem....it's the exact same thing as handing someone the original...except you get to keep a version as well...this is theft...you're giving someone something that is supposed to cost money...and you're giving it to them for free....

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Somehow I feel that this is all too late as one notes that both the P2P and the anti P2P measures are clearly being out flanked by the onward prolification of the transfer of data by such things as live music streams and stream rippers on the one hand and ipods, USBkeys, external harddrives, on the other, the unanswered question is not how many tracks are from P2Ps but simply how many of those tracks found on P2Ps were originally ripped onto someones computer, the answer being probably all, so even if the P2P were to be closed, now what with the other tools I have mentioned, it will make little headway in stopping piracy, no, only measures against ripping will do that though I doubt very much that anyone hear would accept a computer system that does not allow one to record ones own streams or CDs, anyway I feel that the money used to stop P2Ps could have been better spent on something else.