Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot fail

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this microsoft article. It deals with hal.dll together with other, related, problems and offers four solutions. I am quite sure that I have seen another MS article that deals with the problem in the specific case in which two OS are installed on one disk. I'll keep looking for it.

I suggest that when you receive the computer you rig the disks properly. The one with the 98 + XP should be jumpered as master or cable select and attached to the end of the flat cable. The one with the not-working XP should be jumpered as slave or cable select and connect to the mid-cable connector.

When you perform any of the repairs I suggest that you disconnect the one with the not-working XP.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Thanks fo the link. I sa this article at the beginning when I started and tryed them out.
In a few min. I wil get the computer and try it with only the one disk.

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
I'm makeing a coppy of the HD with the problem. The win xp does not look good seince I am copying with ghost and it tells me that there is only 94MB of data :whistling: .

Ill have to wait and see

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
The partition that is suppose to have winxp pro in english is totaly empty.
I tried to do recovery but xp does not see any operating system to recover.

I just downloaded a demo recovery program and it has managed to show me that it has traced all the files.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try this free recovery program. There are many commercial programs but they cost some good money and you can't be sure about the results. However, that's an option that should be considered if the data is very important.

It seems that the file tables or boot sector are corrupted. You can try fixboot or fixmbr from the recovery console. If that doesn't work I would try to salavage the data, as much as I can, and then clear format the partition and reinstall XP.

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Thanx for the link but it took 2 sec. and gave me nothing. You mentioned that the comercial programs you don't know what they are worth. Well most of them will do the search for free.

It is wierd that all of a sudden the disk looks formated.

Itried 4 programs. Two of them gave me nothing and both I have a license for. One other gave me some of the data. The last one recognized the whole disk system and all :blink: . The demo is good for 30 days and will check what ever you want but you can only recover one file :whistling: The program is called handy recovery 3. It cost 39$, so know it depends on my friend....

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
have you tried fixboot and fixmbr?

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
I haven't tried that yet. I am afraid of loosing or over writing the data that this recovery program found. When I finish recovering I will try.

Here is a question that I was debating about.
If I purchase a program leagily. And they tell that they will to send it to me with in 24 hr. If I install a cracked vertion of the same program is that ligitamit or do I need to wait?

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
I tried both and they did not work. How can they fix something that can't be seen?
When I did a ghost disk to disk I got nothing. No files were transfered.

I recovered with the program I found what I could. It is a bit annoying when it does not recognize the name of a file because then you have about 40 folders that have random names. And you need to go through them all.

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Here is the end of the story.

I recovered what I found and burned it on a dvd encase he wants it.

The disk with win98 I set as master and the xp pro Hebrew I set as slave. I corrected the boot.ini so that it boots properly from a list. The partition that was "missing" I left empty encase he wants to try and recover with a different program. The recovered data I "put" where it would have been. He said he had many links in his favorites and outlook express was very important. Outlook was not very successful but that is what there is.

One last thing.
I don't know if I should open a new thread but I'll ask again anyway

If I purchase a program legally. And they tell that they will to send it to me with in 24 hr. If I install a cracked vertion of the same program is that legitimate or do I need to wait?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi Vally.

Any question that you ask in g2g and is concerned with a cracked program will be answered with a firm "dont do that".

I am pleased that some sort of solution was found. You had bad luck with this computer as we all have from time to time.

Shalom (I am also an Israeli)