Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Wont Load

• Please log in to reply

uneek

uneek

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I shut my computer down last night and when I go to start it up I get a black screen with message telling me there was a problem with loading windows. It gives me the option of loading in safe mode, safe with networking, safe with command prompt, last good configuration, and run windows normally. Unfortunately I have tried all of these and everytime it just goes back to the screen after it tries to load. I dont know what to do. I have no problem trashing the computer except there are files on there that I NEED.

Is there any way to get onto windows at all?
Is there a way I can network into the computer?

Any suggestions at all?

:tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you have a windows disk, you can make a repair---at the top of the forum is a thread explaining how to do this.

If you could If you could give the exact error message, I could probably offer more.

Barring a repair, there are a number of ways to achieve what your after, but that would be best, and easiest.

uneek

uneek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It is a full screen error message stating that there might have been a hardware or software change or something along those lines. The other problem is I dont have my XP install disc anymore. Im on my girlfriends computer right now and she runs ME and has her recovery disk. Would there be a problem if I ran that? She has a compaq and I have an emachines.

Also, is there any way I could network from ehr PC into mine? I have hers set up for direct cable connection but cant get onto mine ofcourse because I cant get into mine to set it to host a network. Any way to get past that. If I could only get the files off there that I need I wouldnt care about what happens to my computer and I could take my time fixing it. I just need the files rather quickly which is the problem.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Your available resources kind of limits your options.

Your girlfriends WinME computer will not read your system disk, or I would suggest taking your drive and sticking it in there.

You MAY be able to get a PE disk that will allow the network, though...but you need a windows xp disk to create it.

If you know anyone with a windows XP machine, I think your best bet would be to pull your drive, put it in their machine, and get the data off that way.

Another method could be to download knoppix, a linux distro that loads from a cd

Here is a quick, easy to understand tutorial.

http://www.shockfami...cedric/knoppix/