Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can a defective dvd drive mess up windows or the computer?

• Please log in to reply

Phantom Miria

Phantom Miria

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Here is what I mean. Originally I thought that the hard drive was failing in my friends computer, it still may be, but could a defective dvd drive actually mess things up? Like, when you load something, it loads but it doesnt load the whole thing, so it doesnt run correctly but theres enough files to run the program. Like windows. I checked the error logs and the hard drive had mass errors, but, when windows was redone the dvd rom had mass errors, the hard drive usually has errors a couple days later. So, could a defective dvd drive load a program enough to run, but not fully, then could the hard drive think its erroring when the reality is its not? The reason I think this is because I loaded 6 games, 2 loaded fully, 3 had missing files and had to be deleted, and 1 wouldnt load cause a file couldnt transfer. Heres what it says at about 36%.

Component Transfer Error

Component : Cabs US
File Group: SWCABS US
File: D:\data2.cab
Error: Data Error (Cycle Redundancy Check)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Cycle Redundancy Checks when browsing CDs often come about because of a disk that's heavily scratched to a point where its unusable and the file the computer wants lives on the scratched bit. Alternatively it can be a sign of a defective drive or other hardware issues if it continues to occur with a clean CD.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
In addition to what Neil styated, to rule out the hard drive, go to the manufacturers site and download and run the tools that will check the HD.