Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Randomly Freezes

• Please log in to reply

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hi everyone at GeeksToGo,

Thanks for helping me. Hopefully the answer to my question is simple, and it is just something I haven't thought of. I recently upgraded my computer to Windows Vista Ultimate. I did a clean install and it put all of the OLD information in a windows.old folder located in C:. Although, whenever I am just browsing the web or doing something not even heavy on the computer's part, it freezes. I have an external hard drive and an external dvd burner plugged in. Maybe that is the problem.

Thanks!

Paul

Edited by paulcomputerman, 11 July 2007 - 10:44 AM.

Advertisements

Cybertimber2007

Cybertimber2007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
You seem to be savy enough to know what a clean install is so welcome :whistling:

Reffering to the "Windows.old" folder, do you mean you just put personal files in there, or an entire copy of what your old Windows folder (in XP I assume) had?

I'm also wondering if it might be a failing hard drive or memory. Lets check hard drive since that is easier.
I recommend SpeedFan for this.
>> SpeedFan Download

Instructions:
Download Speedfan, Install, Reboot and then open it after everything loads.
Click on the SMART tab, in the drop down select your internal drive and let me know what it says at the bottom (Performance and Fitness).
Then click "Perform Online Advanced Analysis" and see what info that gives. If you can save a copy of the page for future, please give me that link and I'll let you know if its the hard drive.

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Thanks for your reply! I will try that tomorrow!

Paul