Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Compatible with Video Card

• Please log in to reply

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I would like to know if anybody knows of any good, 'cheap' (hopefully less than $150) motherboards that are compatible with the Evga GeForce 8800 GTS 640mb video card. My CPU is a AM2, so, of course, the motherboard would ahve to be an AMD AM2 chipset. Here is the newegg link to the video card-
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130071
I was assuming that any motherboard would work, but since the card is so big-9 inches, and (i think) an inch or so thick, I wanted to make sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi dllp117, all you need for your motherboard to support that graphics card is a PCI-Express (x16) slot, which pretty much every new motherboard these days has at least one. You will need to make sure you have a decent sized case (like probably NOT a barebones), and that your power supply has enough power and the right cord to plug into the card itself.

Depending on when you are looking to buy, you should wait and get the new AM2+ chipset motherboards, I hear they are coming out soon. It will be backward-compatible with your AM2 CPU, and it will be future-proofed for the next generation of CPU's from AMD.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Thanks for responding so quickly, ruthandtroy! I didn't know about the AM2+ chipsets-I might look into that, but I kind of need the new motherboard soon-I finally found out that the 8800GTS 'needs' 2 pci-e slots, because of it's size, and my motherboard only has one. But thanks again for helping!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No this is wrong. Your graphics card only uses one slot of PCI-Express (x16), but because it is double width it will take up two spaces on the back of your case. So while it takes up the space of two cards, it only connects into one PCI-Express (x16) slot. Unless you have two cards and are talking about SLI...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ruthandtroy is right it's called a dual slot cooler. Pretty well any motherboard will fit your needs.
If you need a motherboard now, don't wait for AM2+, it'll be coming out later on, probably the end of the month at the earliest, I have seen some rumours saying middle of July. I would hold my breath though, there is no rush till Q4, but I'm sure it will be out before then.
James

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Sorry, I meant that it takes up the space of two PCI-e slots, not that it literally takes up two slots. Actually, the motherboard I'm buying has two PCI-E x1 next to the PCI-E slot that I'll be using, allowing the card to cover them up without covering up another pci-e slot. I don't know if this is normal in most motherboards, but I think it might be...at least for 'gaming' motherboards. thanks james-that's what i meant to say-a dual slot cooler.

Edited by dllp117, 11 July 2007 - 10:31 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I cannot think of a motherboard company that would put both the PCI-e slots right beside one another. The dual card set up are there for the high end users and all high end GPU's require a dual slot cooler. No matter what board you find I think you'll be covering a PCI slot, not a PCI-e slot. So you shouldn't really need to worry about it.
James

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Yeah, I'm not sweating too much about it as I already found a board that's 'perfect' (aren't they all?), I was just sayin'...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay long as all is sweet...

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
lol-Once I get my graphics card, all will be super sweet-640 mb's of video memory sweet...Thanks for helping me out, y'all!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No problem, have fun with the upgrade :whistling:
James