Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC will not restart after using SUPERanti spyware

• Please log in to reply

pandora13

pandora13

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello. i hope this is in the right forum. My business pc has been quite slow lately, so i thought i'd try the scans, as i have in the past. I ran the super anti spyware and when it got to the reboot part, i clicked yes, the computer turned off and will not turn back on anymore. the fan comes on and just runs but windows does not start up, i have a black screen.

Thank you
Karen

Edited by pandora13, 11 July 2007 - 04:32 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you press the power button and tap F8 until you get options, choose safe mode, select the administrator account, if it loads, run system restore, using the checkpoint just before the scan

If it won't load in safe mode

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter. (If F8 shows boot devices, use F5 instead).

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

pandora13

pandora13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank-you, after restarting in safe mode, it seems to be running fine. Ill keep my fingers crossed. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Were you able to reboot to normal mode then?

pandora13

pandora13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
yes, but its running slow...im a little nervous about doing anything else....any suggestions on which scans to try? i did the first few up to the super antispyware....maybe i just need a bigger processer unit. oh well.
thanks for your help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If it still runs slowly

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can I just politely point out that I find JkDefrag is a much better hard disk defragmenter than the Windows built-in one, it's a small download and doesn't require any installation, it just runs as is. When you unpack it, just double click (or single click, depending on your settings) JkDefrag.exe and it will run itself. It will defrag everything attached to your computer, like a USB backup drive as well, all in one hit. This is not necessary, but I believe the extra minute to get this program will well and truly be worth it.

Good luck! :whistling: