In the new apartment the service seemed to be working fine but 3 days in it just stopped working without any tall tale signs of problems... I call tech support to see whats going and they give me an explanation about ghosting, because it was pulling the wrong mac address yadda yadda yadda... They get the mac address issue resolved and it works for maybe 3 hours at most and I'm back to the same issue... I call again and bring up the issue of the router and they tell me they can't help with the router because they don't support routers (That was news to me). So we work with a direct connect, and nothing works, but since my MB has 2 NIC slots I switched over and it works. At this point I'm extremely frustrated because everything is inconsistent, so I hook up my router and it still doesn't work, but the direct connect works. So we come to the conclusion that my router is dead so I go to the store and buy a Linksys router this time and it works, I'm relieved thinking my issues have been fixed, but of course 3 days later it doesn't work, so it wasn't the router after all.
We schedule for a tech guy to come over to check if the modem is ok and to see if there was any issues with the line. But since I'm so impatient I hook everything up again through the router and it works of course... So 3 days later no issues... When the tech arrives for our appointment I'm at a lost what to say because I have had 3 days with no issues while hooked up to the router. Basically the tech guy came in tested the lines and the modem only to tell me the lines is strong and good, and the modem is working fine... Go figure. He leaves and I swear, that night I had connectivity issues again, so I disconnect it from the router and do a direct connect and it doesn't work so I'm like What the..., so I grab my gf's laptop disable wireless and do a direct connect and it works... This goes on for 2 more days where the connection is fine with the router for a couple of hours then it doesn't work, then I do a direct connect then it works, then it won't work, then onto the laptop where it works fine.
Now here I am at my brothers house using his WOW cable internet service to test things out and everything seems to be fine, I'm leaving it over night to test it out. But I'm at a lost of what to do, Comcast is just giving me 0 support with my router and a direct connect is sketchy. I'm this >< close to cancel and switching over to WOW, but I'm afraid it may be a hardware issue, but everything seems to be fine at my brothers house.
BTW Comcast's solution is to pay extra for they home networking tech support... But I'm reluctant to do so, because I've never had any issues before and its solid right now with my brother's line.
One last note... its seems that my Comcast line at my apartment is giving me a new ip address every time i do a power cycle on the modem, which I'm wondering may be causing an issue with the router, but that doesn't explain why a direct connect sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. My brothers WOW line doesn't seem to be issuing a new ip address every time I do a power cycle, but what is interesting is it gives my router a different ip address and a different one via a direct connect no matter how many times I do it. Again I don't know if this is anything or not, just something I noticed.
Edited by doobus, 11 July 2007 - 04:30 PM.