Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need guidance on how to set up my own forum

• Please log in to reply

Wildrosebella

Wildrosebella

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone,

I've been using free forum hosts for my forums but I'm getting frustrated at the lack of control and customisation. I was once an admin for an eBlah forum (that has since been closed by the owner) and really enjoyed the freedom and customisability of it. I'd love to be able to set up my own eBlah forum but I understand I'll need to host it myself and acquire a domain name. So what's involved? What's the very first step I need to take? I will need a box to run 24/7, what kind of minimum specs should be adequate?

TIA!

Advertisements

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
If you mean a webhost only..

Get a webhost, Freepgs is good for a small forum, Crucial Web Host is good for a large one. Then, just download the forum you want (phpBB is a personal favourite), and uploaded the files through FTP. Then it will go through an installation wizard where you fill everything in, and customize your website to suit it. GoDaddy is the best domain registrar imo. Once you buy that, you point your domain to the hosts nameservers and get them to add your domain.

If you mean a dedicated server/VPS, I'd go with VPSLand, keep in mind you'll need to install an HTML server ( I used Abyss), and then PHP and maybe other things, etc...

The webhost is probably the best option, unless the forum is going to be huge..

Hope that helps If you need more help, just ask.

P.S. If you go with CrucialWebHost, use this coupon, "h36g2g25" for $50 off

computergeek101

computergeek101

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey try out fourmotion.com it's easy and free

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
:whistling: :help: :blink:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

For example I use http://sites5.com/ to professionally host my site. I've played with several different forums to see what I like. For example most hosting companies provide "fanstico" scripts to install various software packages. Once you have chose a package and installed it then it is just a matter of setting up the site.

I have used drupal, simple Machine Forms (smf), php-nuke, and IPB. IPB (Innovision Power Board) is the best IMO but cost a fair amount of money. Drupal is free and open source. I find that it is fairly easy to navigate and use. If you have to go in and customize modules and so forth I found it easy to understand.
Here are two sites that are highly customized drupal installs: http://twit.tv/ and http://v4v.us/

I've been playing around with several different ones and recently went back to php-nuke. This is because I wanted a standard forum layout that was easy to admin and create content for. Drupal forums are more of a conversational layout and not flattened like traditional forums. You can look at my site in its infancy. I haven't had much time this week to work on it. http://starjax.com/. I will caution that it takes a fair amount of experience at coding to creat and theme php-nuke. On the other hand there are some nice themes available for download.

SMF is open source as well. offers the ease of administration and setup like php-nuke but is more modern in it appearance than php-nuke. I found it to be very easy to use. In fact I know this is offered at GoDaddy.com, so if you want something cheap to play with until you figure out what you want, it may be worth a try.

There are several places where you can get free forums, but are limited to the customization you can do and to the forums they choose to run. On the other hand they are free.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.