Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help setting up a firewire network on 2 XP PCs.

• Please log in to reply

Japstar

Japstar

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I connected the computer and the laptop using the firewire cable and then used the wizard to create the network. I had done internet sharing where the laptop would use the internet through the PC. When the wizard had completed, an internet gateway had appeared in Network connections on the laptop.

I did a ping on the network and 4 packets were sent successfully, so i know the network is working.

But the problem is I dont know how to share files. On the laptop, I had enabled the option of sharing on a few of the folders, but I dont know how to access them on my PC.

Also when I click on My Network places, it says that the network is not accessible at this time, but when I ping, it says network is working.

So can someone please tell me how to access the folders on my laptop through my computer using the firewire network.

Thanks in advance

Japstar

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP

But the problem is I dont know how to share files. On the laptop, I had enabled the option of sharing on a few of the folders, but I dont know how to access them on my PC.

Interesting, connecting your computer via firewire.
From what I see you want to access your desktop form your laptop? OK, you need to enable sharing on the desktop as well. When you have the sharing enabled restart both of your computers.
Now go onto your laptop and into My Network Places. Click on Tools and select Map a Network Drive... When prompted select Browse and navigate to the drive you wish access to on the Desktop computer.
If you want to print from your laptop to your desktop's printer do the same thing except select Add a Printer and use the Networking option instead of the Local option. We will go into that later if you wish.