Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrade processor options

• Please log in to reply

renaldoaoa

renaldoaoa

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I'm using a K8T NEO board (VIA K8T800) 800 MHZ CPU designed for AMD Athlon 64 processors.

I have a 3400+ (2.4) and I was curious if there was a faster chip that would fit in my board?

If I'm not mistaken I think the socket it 754.
I've been looking around on the net for info, but I'm not CP savy. I've been hearing a lot about these X2 chips but they show as socket AM2 and I'm not sure if that would even fit. Not to say I'm looking for a X2, just really ANY option that may be available to me instead of doing a motherboard upgrade.

Anything faster available for my config?

Thank you tremendously!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dual-core processors are not available on Socket 754. AM2 processors will not work on 754 boards.
To upgrade to AM2 you need new board, memory and processor.

The problem with Socket 754 boards there's not really much in the way of upgrades for it, plus the processors are now out of production. It was only ever meant to be a budget solution before AM2 came along.

renaldoaoa

renaldoaoa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for your help Neil.

I'll start looking into something new in the next few months and I'll probably be posting more questions when I get into that process.

Many thanks to you!!