Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password Protected Pages on Website

• Please log in to reply

Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When setting up "Password Protected Pages",?

I have the code properly in place as written, however, when testing the access I keep getting "AUTHENTICATION REQUIRED". The files: .htaccess and .htpasswd all correspond to instructions but unable gain access from the front. Can anyone provide any insight/assistance so I can correct this "bugging problem".

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
See if this online .htaccess Password generator generates the same code as you are using:

Generator

Ron

Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I still get the box AUTHENTICATION REQUIRED even after entering the user name and password.

Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The problem seems to be cured for now

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sometimes it seems it takes awhile to take effect. if you figure out what the solution is that allowed it to start working, please post back for the benefit of others following this thread. Especially me. :whistling:

Ron

Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The only thing I can think of is that the file I was using from my Web Hosting Service is defective ... or it could be I entered the code wrong (following their instructions) ... :whistling:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That happens. The slightest error in syntax can create a lot of problems. Thanks for posting back and for using GTG.

Ron