Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS INSTALLER REFUSES TO DO HIS JOB

• Please log in to reply

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
I'VE TRIED EVERY ADVICE GIVEN BY EITHER GEEGS2GO OR MICROSOFT,INSTALLED W/INSTALLER3.1,RE-INSTALLED W/XP SP2,THE ERROR MESSAGE STAY'S THE SAME"THE WINDOWS INSTALLER SERVICE COULD NOT BE ACCESSED---BLA BLA BLA ERRORCODE 1601.ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP!!!??? THANK'S IN ADVANCE

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Go to Start -> Run, type

sfc /scannow

have your xp cd ready cause it may ask for it, reboot when done and let me know.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
THANK'S FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE!I'VE DONE THE SCAN,NO MESSAGES AFTER COMPLETTION.JUST IN CASE YOU'LL ASK,I'VE RE-REGISTERT W/INST,VERIFIED IMAGE PATH,FULL PERMISSION TO SYSTEM& USERS,W/INST SERVICE SETTINGS-MANUAL OR AUTOMATIC WITH SAME RESULTS.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
ZORBA THE GEEK,

Try MS KB Article 315346 to help you troubleshoot this issue.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I know you tried some of this but please do it in this order...
first use the link provided to download fresh version of the installer...then uninstall windows installer in the add/remove programs from the control panel
you might want to try downloading windows installer 3.1 from here...install it and reboot..then go to start...run...type in services.msc..press enter...scroll down to where windows installer is ..double click on it and then in the box that says ..startup type...use the little arrow to get the drop down window...select automatic...then back up towards the top click on start the service...close the services window...
try to install something

BTW typing in all caps is considered shouting...if its a eye (seeing) problem try using bold..

Edited by happyrck, 12 July 2007 - 05:49 PM.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
hi! thank's for the reply!but no luck. i've re-installed xp twice,but some programs like net frame work2 have not been replaced!!i think,but i am not sure that my problem started after a m\s update(like net frame work 2!?)is it so impossible,that some other program blocks w/installer!? i've been reading geegs2go as a guest for about 2 years,a lot of info has helped me in the past! since m/soft cant help me,all the solutions posted on the forum dont seem to work either,i've deceided to become a member and ask for something new! Sorry happyrck i dident know that you guy's are CASE SENSETIVE!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you able to get windows updates at all or will nothing install period...
about the all caps..I personally don't care about it..I was a Engineering contractor and all the blueprints are in all caps..

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
i've downloaded 77 updates,but there dont install ! i cant install anything microsoft(or remove ) ! non ms program dont seem to be affected.alltough i installed i7!? another thing:when i searched for the msiexec.exe file i've found 4 msiexec.exe files(in differend locations).ps,my pc came preinstalled with xp/sp2.i re-installed xp with the Quick Restore CD that came with the pc (does it matter?) thank's for your quick reply,it's nice to be a member,not having to browse throu 1112 pages!! happyrck,i see you've changed from engineering to computers! 30 years ago i was repairing computers for IBM, but at that time it seems that there is no future in c-repairs,and i became a engineer with peugeot GO AND FIGURE THAT OUT!! anyway thank's again for helping

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Have you tried the instructions listed in the Knowlagebase Article listed above?

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
hi tuxmaster! thank's for your input,more than once i'm afraid! as you can see,with m/s i went from a to the bitter sweet end(ie. re-installing xp "twice actually" ps i've checked again my event viewer log :a day or two after updating netframe work,the installer warnings started to appear,most of them with errorcode:0x800 80005 msi dll even the latest once!

Edited by ZORBA THE GEEK, 13 July 2007 - 02:35 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Can you give us the egzact error messages that you are reciving.

Were those repair install or freash installs?

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
ok,the last known good m/s installation was a security update for net frame (KB917283)!the errormessages:failed to connect to server msi Installer(msi dll)! also m/s office xp went on the blink. i think you refer to the xp installation(fresh or repair?)i had to re-regiester my copy of windows.as far as i can see,only net framework2 stayed the same(originally it came net 1.1)as i have automatic updates enabled,the last trace of a good install was KB917283.now i have 77 updates waiting to be installed***so they can also do some damage???*** thank's tuxmaster it's now 1:41AM ,time for me to go to sleep!

Edited by ZORBA THE GEEK, 13 July 2007 - 04:43 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have done all the right steps...but I would like you to go here and scroll down and download the essential XP updates starting with the oldest first..(they have the months they were released)..just get a couple...try installing them by just clicking on them...if it works you can get all the patches that way...just do 4 or 5 at atime and create restore points in between groups this is how I get and install all the updates using firefox ...
if that does not work I'm fresh out of ideas

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
These 2 programs have helped me regarding install problems.

http://www.majorgeek...wnload4899.html

http://www.majorgeek...lity_d4459.html

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Hi latiqid,thank's for your input.I've tried Dial a Fix,no difference,& windows installer cleaner does not install.Thanks anyway.Hi happyrck;i've downloaded the updates.I installed windows mediaplayer11 just to see and it works!!????But every time i want to install /uninstall something else ie:office xp,windows installercleaner,same old message!so sleep on it,have a nice weekend!BTW:out of 77 updates only 1 could not be installed"security update for w/frame network2"!!??

Edited by ZORBA THE GEEK, 14 July 2007 - 03:14 PM.