Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS INSTALLER REFUSES TO DO HIS JOB

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if I understand correctly you now have all the xp updates but the net framework...
try this... please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you!Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Click on CCleaner to start it. Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

no joy then try this...
This step-by-step article describes how to troubleshoot issues that you may experience when you install the .NET Framework 2.0.

When Microsoft Windows Installer is incorrectly registered in the Windows registry, the .NET Framework 2.0 Setup program cannot access some Windows Installer components. This article discusses how to work around this issue by unregistering and then reregistering Windows Installer.

You may not always be able to completely remove the .NET Framework 2.0 by using the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This article also discusses how to work around this issue either by repairing the .NET Framework 2.0 or by manually removing the .NET Framework 2.0 from the computer and then reinstalling the .NET Framework 2.0.

you must use an account that is in the Local Administrators group...

Unregister and then reregister Windows Installer
This action corrects most situations. Additionally, this action does not affect any currently installed programs that use the Windows Installer.
1. Unregister Windows Installer. To do this, click Start, click Run, type msiexec /unregister in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Reregister Windows Installer. To do this, click click Start, click Run, type msiexec /regserver in the Open box, and then click OK.

there are 2 other ways to do a repair but if you screw up the registry you will have to reinstall windows again

Edited by happyrck, 14 July 2007 - 05:55 PM.

Advertisements

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
hi happyrck!done the cleaning but no joy.have you perhaps a link for the article you mentioned? thank's

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I do not mean to butt in on this, but I have been dealing with the KB928365 (.net 2.0 update) on 3 computers. My search and attempts have been anything, and everything. There are a lot of folks having issues with the 1.1 and 2.0 updates.

You are doing all the right steps, just need to find the proper order. Whatever that is, no one knows.

uninstall/ reinstall
unregister/ reregister
windows installer cleanup.
Install the new windows installer

The first release of 3.1 had to be withdrawn due to a bug, so this means this has the rather confusing title of Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2). It makes us wonder why they didn't simply call it version 3.2

Even after installing the 3.1v2 version, it will still say "Windows installer 3.1 KB893803" in add/remove.

I managed to get 2 of 3 comps yesterday. Today, I got the 3rd by running the dotnetfx.exe for kb928365

Some folks have attempted to uninstall all 3 .nets and then reinstall. Some were successful.

Here are some links.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
http://www.pcadvisor...f...6&forumid=1

This next link is very interesting.
http://www.vista-xp....all-solved.html

Windows Installer Cleanup and description

There is a new windows installer version also. But I found no way to tell what is already on the computer
Windows Installer 3.1 v 2

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
heres the link...you never did say...did you get all the other updates installed successfully...

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
:whistling: in order to remove n/frame manually i need the installer to work.to make use of w/inst.cleaner,i need to install it. Hi 123 Runner,no problem you're welcome.the installer version is "Windows installer 3.1 KB893803",with the rest i must get the installer to work first.Thank's for your input.QUOTEthere are 2 other ways to do a repair but if you screw up the registry you will have to reinstall windows again"happyrck,let's get back to our roots:give me the screwdriver!!!!!!BTW,what do you mean by "the other updates"?

Edited by ZORBA THE GEEK, 15 July 2007 - 10:22 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

what do you mean by "the other updates"?

you had over 70 updates that needed to be installed

give me the screwdriver!!!!!!

its in the link I gave you in my last post...scroll down toward the bottom

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
:whistling: i've installed 76 updates!Sorry,followed the instructions given by the link you've mentioned.win/inst.cant un-install,same errormessage(post#1)The ccleaner installed & worked fine.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you try the Windows installer 3.1 v 2 I gave you the link to? As stated, there is NO WAY (that I have found) to determine what version is installed.

I am lost in all of this thread. I need some clarification.
Can you uninstall the installer?
Does the windows installer cleaner install?
Did you go to services.msc and look at the installer for auto/ manual?
There is a spoy in CCleaner where you can uninstall programs such as the windows installer, etc.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Hi 123Runner! yes i can uninstall the installer,i've downloaded&installed Win.installer3.1 recommended by you.the windows installercleaner does notinstall!Ccleaner uses the windows installer to remove programs!I've run win/installer manual or automatic with the same results(at the moment it's set on man.) in my last posting QUOTE"win/inst.cant un-install,same errormessage(post#1)" refers to uninstalling netframework in the installerfile!

Edited by ZORBA THE GEEK, 15 July 2007 - 02:44 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try 123runner's advice and get windows installer 3.1 v2......he included a link to get it

To determine which version of Windows Installer is currently installed on the computer, follow these steps:
1. In Windows Explorer, locate the following file:
Msi.dll
This file is located in the Windows\System 32 folder.
2. Right-click Msi.dll, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Version tab. Note the file version number.
• If the version number is 3.1.4000.1823, the computer has Windows Installer 3.1 (v1) installed.
• If the version number is 3.1.4000.2435, the computer has Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) installed.

Advertisements

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Hi happyrck! Yes ,i've downloaded win.installer from the link provided by 123runner.i verified msi.dll(3.1.4000.2435) :whistling: Iam at my wits end,my pc is about to commit HARAKIRI(with my help of course).any last ideas?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I am glad there is a way to check the version. never thought of that.
However, I know I did 3.1 v2 on all 3 of my comps and they all show 3.1.4000.4939
So now what gives?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

my pc is about to commit HARAKIRI(with my help of course)

if you do decide to help (think big hammer)...take it outside...get all your other electronics and line them up in the window to watch...Bludgeon it both fast and furious...stopping at short intervals to shake the hammer at your other electronics..sprinkle expletive deletion's throughout procedure...warn other components (shake hammer at them)...they could share the same fate if they start misbehaving.....

any last ideas?

I fought with one just like yours about 6 months back...finally got it fixed but I had tried so many things to get it straightened out I can't remember the solution now...take a break from it for awhile...
or you could try a repair on windows ...doing that will make you have to reinstall ALL the updates again though....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I am glad there is a way to check the version. never thought of that.
However, I know I did 3.1 v2 on all 3 of my comps and they all show 3.1.4000.4939

mine shows....3.1.4000.4039

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
EDIT...DUPLICATE POST

Edited by happyrck, 15 July 2007 - 06:19 PM.