Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dual Channel Memory?

• Please log in to reply

JTingly

JTingly

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
my 1 gig ram has recently died on me. and now i have to go back on my 64 mb piece of ram.
im not really a hardware whiz, and somebody else ordered my ram (the 1 gig) couple of years ago. i ran a scan from crucial.com to see what type of ram my dell dimension 2400 can run. im pretty set with everything except the term "dual channel memory" and DDR2. the scan says that my computer cannot run dual channel memory. does that mean i cannot install DDR2 pieces of ram inside my pc? what does dual channel memory actually mean? and yes i have googled for some time about this, but i cant find satisfactory answers.

please help!

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Dual Channel means that there are two "paths" to the cpu from the ram. DDR / DDR2 is just a class of memory. Most brand new computers use DDR2 which is just a newer technology from DDR. That is the type of RAM. Dual channel is just how the ram talks to the cpu.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i see. but do you think my 2003 dell dimension 2400 can take ddr2? is there a specific scan to detect if my computer can take ddr2?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No it cannot run ddr2. I have a Dell from about a year ago and that was when I started seeing DDR2 being installed. I have a handful of 2400's from about 3 years ago and they just take DDR PC3200 RAM.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
alright thanks. do you reccomend any specific affordable ddr ram? i heard it was more expensive than ddr2 for some reason.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have been putting these in my 2400's. Corsair / Kingston I have had good luck with. But I definitely try to buy all the same for one machine, mixing sometimes causes issues, in my experience.

Also tigerdirect offers 2 512 MB sticks for $5 less than the link above, but hey, can never have too much ram.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
hm, am i able to put any type of ddr ram inside my computer?

http://www.amazon.co...R/dp/B0002M0Q1E

i found that, will that work? only thing is that im wondering why it doesnt have a PC something after it?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I dont have a good feeling about that one. You defintely want to find one that has the PC3200 on it.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
alright thanks i'll keep looking. is it worth it to get new ram, like isnt there a possibility of it blowing out again? or should i get a new computer

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
It is whatever you want. I doubt that putting new RAM in will make it go again. Not to say that possibility doesnt exist, its just not likely. If you want a new machine than thats your call and we will help with what we can. But if you like the machine, I would throw some RAM in it and let it fly for a while.

JTingly

JTingly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
hrmmmm,
how come ddr ram is more expensive than ddr2, isnt ddr older?

by the way thanks for all your help, i appreciate it

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Not a problem, I try to help as many as I can :whistling:

I dont know the exact reason but I can speculate. I work for a manufacturing company the produces industrial ethernet hardware, and from experience, just because its newer doesnt mean that the components cost more. Sometimes newer components are less expensive. Also companies would consider older product "legacy" products which they want to try and phase out for the newer stuff, so finding components is harder and thus more expensive. I think as everything now is DDR2 the market is flooded with supply due to manufacturers producing it, where as DDR is VERY common but is considered second generation therefore the supply drops dramatically, still has a high demand and price goes up.

Is this just BS, maybe, but its what I work with and my best guess :blink: