Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logon Failure

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
All machines in this issue are XP Pro SP2, fully updated.

I have one machine that is sharing a label printer. There are about 15 people that use it. One user cannot print, so when I went to their machine and pinged the machine with the printer by IP and by Name it came back fine. Then I tried to browse to it, and got the attached error. Im lost that the other 14 users are working fine. I thought DNS but then wouldnt everyone see a problem?

Thanks!

Attached Files

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I seem to remember this problem coming up before with another poster and IIRC we ascertained that it was a Windows limit on the amount of incoming connections to any one computer.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ok seems solid. Now hypothetically if I turn off most of the other machines connected to this printer its should go away?

Also why over a year to first see this, its been up and running for that long.

Hmmm not sure.....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...i already know you're on a domain...so...don't have to ask that question....did you have to set up any specific permissions on the printer? might wanna try doing that as well...

also...if there's going to be that many people using this printer...you MIGHT try using a USB print server....might help

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Yup on a domain. I did not set up any special permissions when I set it up. Its a dymo label printer so I believe it needs to be attached to a computer then shared. Pluse its a serial cable, why I have no freakin idea.

I appreciate you taking a look.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try modifying the share permissions to give tha tspecific user rights to the printer