Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Install Problems

• Please log in to reply

silentarts

silentarts

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Hi. I am stumped about what is happening to my computer these days, so i am turning to you guys.

The problem is that i want to install Windows XP SP1 on my PC. I reach the stage where it says Starting Windows Install, and it goes to Please Wait, and it freezes, i mean for about an hour or more and no movement. So i reboot and try again, this time with SP2. I get through, but after the first time it boots up and then i restart for some driver installation and i cannot get it to load again. Then i try windows vista. Similar problems.

Can anyone get me some fruitful help.

I am willing to try anything.

I think it can be a Memory Problem.

Computer Specs:

Intel +1700 Processor
512 Ram
160 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
Pioneer DVD +/- RW Burner
128MB Video Card
Onboard Sound

etc.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First let's deal with Windows Vista quickly. Your PC is not powerful enough to run it. An intel 1700 CPU is barely fast enough, while 512MB RAM is only half the minimum recommended (even for Vista Basic). Then there's the hardware such as sound and graphics. Microsoft has published a list of vista-compatible hardware which excludes a lot of older devices more than 12 months old. So forget Vista on this PC unless all the hardware inside it is on Microsoft's vista-compatibilty list. Now let's see what might be the problem with XP.

If you think it's faulty RAM, test it with this free utility: http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

silentarts

silentarts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Ok, i was running vista before, but ran into problems with drivers, i ran smoothly, now i am trying to reinstall it and nothing helpful.

I have that memtest cd so i will run it and see what i find.

Thanks

Will reply soon.

silentarts

silentarts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Thanks a lot....i did a test, but no errors or problems.....

What i did though, is that i removed the drives i was trying it out on and i put in another one and it is working fine....

Thanks anyways....