Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

this is really weird

• Please log in to reply

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
"are you sure you want to delete this icon " on a dell latitude D800. It will also delete your aol email if you login .....

I've reformated and reloaded the computer and before ever going online again it did the are you sure you want to delete this shortcut ... for what ever you just clicked on.... sometimes it's continuous and sometimes it does it ever several minutes.... at first I thought stuck delete key but it's not.... the computer also beeps quite a bit but not constant like a stuck key on boot up.... occasionally it also does it while running but it's mostly when it is running or accessing startup/system files..... Ran a public avcd to detect virus and it beeps alot.... as it scans even. I checked the bios for some virus protection and there is nothing listed.... the only alarm at all is for a deficient power supply..... I turned that off and still get the issue.... I thought overheating but some days it doesn't beep at all and usually not at all when windows is up and running....

I've also pulled the hard drive and used a new unformated hard drive and installed windows on with both the dell disk ( xp pro sp1 ) and with our disks ( xp pro sp2 ) and same results.... Right now it is running on it's original drive with the original disk ( sp1 ) install and default xp desktop with no icons.... so far it works but the last time I did this it worked fine until I started installing everything and once icons where on the desktop it started doing it again... it will also do it to IE or my computer if you have them on the desktop.... usually after you have clicked on them and have finished using them but not always.... this one really has me stumped.... It's got to be internal to the MB or something.... Keyboard bios chip?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please download Sandra XI from the link in my signature. Follow these instructions:

How to create a Sandra XI report.

Important Note: Sandra, like all computer test programs, stresses computer components beyond the average use. This is necessary to discover weaknesses in the system. On the other hand, if the system is in a marginal state a permanent failure of components may occur . Before running the program make sure to save any unsaved data.

Download Sandra XI using the link in my signature. Please note that if you run XP 64 you need a different version of Sandra then when using XP 32. Install and run the program.

Click on Tools and then on Create Report . Follow the instructions and when given the options uncheck everything which you do not need to test. Choose a place in which to save the report. The report can be very long and complex so do not attach it to your post unless specifically asked to do so.

Run the program. The test is quite long. On my computer just testing the hardware takes about 40 minutes. At the top righthand corner there is an idicator that shows that the test is running. At the end look at the report on the screen and report items which did not pass the test successfully.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
WEll so far I've downloaded that file to this system then transfered the program to the laptop via thumb drive but when I try to install it it says are you sure you want to sent this file to the recycle bin... argh... I'll keep trying....

edit--

I restarted and was able to start the install but it came up and said something about needed gdi or something like that....

Edited by shard92, 12 July 2007 - 01:43 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
alright now I'm trying to download these libraries it talks about and all I found was foxpro 8.0 gdi security vulnerability....

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
WEll apparently that program will not work... it says for windows 2000 you need the gdi+ libraries so I downloaded on another machine ( had to find another xp machine as it wouldn't allow me to download them on this one.... ) and it says to use them with 2000 or earlier only and to not use them on xp.... I'm running xp pro so....now what?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you run XP-sp2 fully updated you shouldn't have any problem installing Sandra. To me it looks as if you have either a windows xp or other application corruption. Another possibility is that you have some malware stored in you documents and files which you reloaded. I would do the following:

Reformat one of the drives with XP-sp2. Clear format the drive using slow format. Don't leave any traces on it. Install your antivirus and nothing else. Download and install all windows updates. Download, install and run Sandra XI.

Please give us some details about your computer (make, model, cpu, ram etc.)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
thank you for the input.... with the help of linux and a few diagnostic cd's I found the delete key was intermittantly firing. I unplugged the keyboard and tried an external and the problem mostly went away... it still beeps like crazy on start and while starting ( sometimes.... ) but it works with an external usb keyboard. I'm now looking for a replacement keyboard for it ( dell latitude d800 ) thank you again....

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know