Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apps cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

taggs

taggs

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi folks,
This happened suddenly just today. I have 3 applications (AVG Antivir, Windows Defender and Spybot S&D) which cannot connect to the internet. Both IE and Firefox can connect OK as can Spywareblaster. I don't know if this is all connected to the same problem or not. I am using Comodo firewall.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
AVG Antivir
Displaying the message: "No connection to the internet could be produced"

Windows Defender
Comodo displays message "DW20.exe is an invisible application. Could be trojan/spyware/virus activity. MSASCUI.exe might be using DW20.exe to connect to the internet. "

Windows update through ie displays the error message "Error Code: 0x8024402C" and the message:
"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem" on the next page.

I have tried the troubleshooting tips from the Microsoft site but none of them worked. They were asking to change proxy settings on my firewall which I could not find on Comodo.

Spybot S&D
OK - just tried this again and it seems to have fixed itself. There was a dialog message about port 10060 (or something). Seems to be fine now.

The problems with the other two apps still exist.

Sorry about the long post but thought I would put them all together as the problems may be related.

Thanks for all help.

Cheers.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
dw20.exe is a microsoft office error reporting tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841477

Windows update:
0x8024402C or 0x8024502d error codes
To resolve these errors, remove characters from the proxy exception list, and then clear the proxy cache. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the Connections tab, click LAN Settings, and then click Advance.
4. Delete any entry in the Exceptions section.
5. Quit Internet Explorer.
6. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
7. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
• proxycfg -d
• net stop wuauserv
• net start wuauserv

Have you tried these suggestions?
If you have, then do you go through a router (linksys for example)? If you do power cycle the router (leave it unplugged for about 30 seconds and plug it back in). Give it a min. or so to do its thing and then try windows update. also have you tried disabling your comodo firewall?

also, if you configure windows update to run automatically, this can sometimes get around issues with manual windows udpates.

Edited by starjax, 12 July 2007 - 02:18 PM.

taggs

taggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
OK - tried the cmd suggestion - didn't work. Going to try turning off the router and switch updates to automatic. BRB.

taggs

taggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
OK. Unplugged the router for about five minutes. Automatic updates was already on but Windows firewall was turned off. Don't know how that happened.

Anyway, Windows Defender now displays "The program can't check for definition updates".

Antivir still cannot connect.

Anything else I can try?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
windows firewall should be disabled because your using comodo firewall. Check your rule set in comodo. It sounds like its blocking windows update and your av.

taggs

taggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi,
Sorry it has taken so long to reply - I've been really busy lately. Anyway I disabled Windows Firewall.

I had a look at Comodo and found it was blocking the svchost.exe file. I unblocked it and AVG Antivir is updating as normal now.

Thing is, I had two svchost.exe files listed. I allowed access to them both. Should there be two exact same files?

Anyway, thanks again for all your help.

Cheers!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
yes. multiple programs use this for a variety of things.

http://www.neuber.co...vchost.exe.html has more info.

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Windows update through ie displays the error message "Error Code: 0x8024402C" and the message:
"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem" on the next page.

I have had the same problem for the last couple weeks or so. I am running Comodo Firewall Pro 2.4

I did notice, some time ago, that my 'automatic widows updates' succeed despite manual windows update failure. Ultimately, because I was convinced that the problem was just a firewall setting I did not spend much time trying to resolve it until today.

I unblocked a couple instances of svchost.exe in Comodo's application monitor. After, that I was able to manually windows update with no problem. I even repeated it several times and rebooted once to be sure that the issue was resolved.

note: I will continue to block svchost.exe, via Comodo, from connecting to the Internet, server rights, etc, because I am uncomfortable with all of the connections it wants to make. I did post a question http://www.castlecop...p...ic&t=196459 regarding it, but everyone ignored me. So, I will allow svchost.exe only for those applications, like manual windows update, that clearly demonstrate an inability to function without it; unless, someone can tell me why I shouldn't.