Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Semi-access to the Web under w2k-sp4

• Please log in to reply

Gswiss

Gswiss

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I've been running W2k-SP4 for a few years with no problems on a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 pc. Suddenly, I can no longer access the Web through Firefox (call to Google hangs) nor my router. On the other hand, I ping www.google.com and the router successfully. Furthermore, Avast updates itself normally.

Last, but not least, if I go into the Connection Wizard, the "Connection to Internet" option (2nd on the list) is grayed out, while all other options are available.

I ran an SFC /scannow to no avail. I'm really stuck because I have important programs on it.

I restored a week-old copy through Acronis Disk Director which I had saved on an external disk. No change.

I am reporting this bug through one of my laptops going through the above-mentioned router in an ADSL environment.

Advertisements

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Problem solved. I stopped the Web Shield in Avast and everything works fine now. This problem does not appear in XP. Must come from the last Avast update I had.