Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please explain this.

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi,
It's misadventure time for me again.
I want to build a new pc but am hesitant for one reason.
I've read in a few places about setting up the BIOS before even installing the operating system, if I remember correctly.
It sounds like it would be over my head. I still haven't figured out how to flash the BIOS.
I've got some new stuff in my current pc, such as DVD writer, which I plan on uising in the new setup.
Haven't yet decided if I'm going with Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 or AMD 6000+. Andf a mobo for whatever I buy.
My biggest fear is destroying the CPU/mobo. I don't have money to burn.
Thanks for any help.
J.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
theres very few resons to "set up the bios" before you install windows...the only things i can specifically think of would be if your motherboard has onboard video and you want to disable that to set up an expancion card...or to set the boot order to boot from cd first

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
BIOS defaults work well. Only real things you may need to change are the date and time, the boot order and turn off devices that you don't need (such as separate sound card, onboard graphics, etc). Most boards do this automatically now though.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Thank you both.
That's the info I needed.
J.