Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another browser with Active X?

• Please log in to reply

MiniBuds

MiniBuds

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i was wondering if there were any free browsers that use Active X other than IE, i want to do some online scans and my IE is messed up right now :s
i remember seeing one mentioned here a couple of years ago.. but i couldent find it

Thanks

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You have a choice to use Firefox with the IE extension or use Maxthon that uses the IE engine.

Ron

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Major Payne is right. Options very limited because ActiveX is a Microsoft technology so naturally it's part of Microsoft's browser. The reason other standalone browsers don't have it is because (1) Microsoft created it, and (2) ActiveX is bad for security, which makes competing browser's safer. Maxthon is basically IE with a different interface so it might not work if your IE is messed up really bad to the point that it won't run.

Edited by pip22, 13 July 2007 - 12:26 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The main issue is most other shells that claim to be standalone actually use Internet Explorer as their backbone. Therefore if your Internet Explorer doesn't work, then your only real solution apart from wiping the computer and starting again is to use Firefox or Opera or Safari. None of these support ActiveX Technology. I believe Firefox with the "IE Tab" extension is also dependent on a working Internet Explorer.

MiniBuds

MiniBuds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks :whistling: my IE isnt that messed up, it runs but its really chunky kinda hard to explain, but maxthon works fine :blink: thanks