Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless desktop HELP!

• Please log in to reply

higby88

higby88

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
In my parents house, I have a Dell desktop. My parents computer is a dell desktop with a wireless DSL modem connected. I want to connect to their connection wirelessly I guess because I don't ahve another DSL modem. I have a Linksys wireless router and it is showing that I am conncted, but I see no wireless connection? Verizon told me I need a wireless card. If this is the only way, what would be your advice on a decent card that is inexpensive since I will only be at this house for a few months and then have a hard line once again. Hope someone can help. thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
There isn't much choice in the range of PCI wireless cards for a desktop PC, since most desktops are wired to the router so the biggest demand is for wireless devices suitable for a laptop. Since it's only going to be temporary you might want to look at getting a USB wireless adaptor which plugs into any spare USB port on your desktop PC -- those from NetGear are very reliable and Belkin make them too but the NetGear ones have more user-friendly setup software in my opinion. Going the USB route means it can be installed in seconds, and can easily be transferred to another PC if required without having to go inside the system case. They usually come with an extension cradle allowing you to place the adaptor in the best position, so you won't need to have it sticking out of your PC like a sore thumb and where it may not get the best signal strength.

Edited by pip22, 13 July 2007 - 06:22 AM.