Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-RW/DVD drive that won't burn or read DVDs

• Please log in to reply

ridiculogic

ridiculogic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an HP ZT1000 notebook (bought in 2002 (!) running XP) and my original Toshiba CD-RX/DVD drive crapped out. So I ripped the one out of my wife's dead HP laptop, which had a QSI SBW-241 drive.

So I can play CD-ROMs and audio CDs, but no CD burning capabilities or DVD playing, no matter what program I use.

I have downloaded the most recent firmware from HP, to no effect.

Any thoughts?

Edited by ridiculogic, 12 July 2007 - 08:36 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Regarding your cd-burning problem I found this which may be relevant:
The reason why many people are having problems with this burner is do to the fact that they are using the wrong CDs. QSI, which is a sub-company developped by Lucent Technologies, created combo drives that worked with only certain cd-r discs. The reason for the lack of compatibility is due primarily to the economy and business politics. QSI did not purchase the licence to conform compatibility with most cd-r discs. Even though they do not have the license, they do have the compatibility with all cd-rw discs and most DVD-R discs. Below are the discs that work and the discs that do not work, or have problems reading when using the QSI SBW-241 drive. Certain discs from certain manufacturers work better than others. Some work so well that they allow the drive to write at its MAX speed of 24x.

Working CDs and DVDs (Excellent Quality and Speed usage):

1. Verbatim Data Life Plus (AZO and Super AZO brand CD-R)
2. All Sony Brand CD-R
3. HP CD-R
4. Ricoh Platinum CD-R
5. All Kodak CD-R
6. FujiFilm CD-R
7. Toshiba CD-R
8. All CD-RW discs
9. All DVD-R discs
10. All DVD-RW discs

Does NOT WORK!!!! (Burn problems and read problems):

1. Maxell CD-R
2. Memorex CD-R
3. SmartBuy CD-R
4. Plextor CD-R
5. Minor Name CD-R
6. No Name CD-R
7. All DVD+R discs
8. All DVD-RAM discs

If a certain brand or type of disc is not listed above, then it has not been tested on this drive. You may wish to test it yourself or use one of those discs listed in the Working CDs and DVDs section mentioned. For optimal performance including the usage of the full 24x speed of this drive use: Verbatim Super AZO CD-R
or Sony Brand discs or any CD-RW disc.

As for playing DVDs, are you sure there is some DVD-player software installed on your laptop? Windows Media Player cannot play DVDs without you adding a third-party MPEG2 decoder plugin, or without a third-party standalone DVD player application being present, such as WinDVD or PowerDVD, in which case Windows Media Player will automatically use the decoder built into either of those two.

Edited by pip22, 13 July 2007 - 06:08 AM.

ridiculogic

ridiculogic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Pip,

Thanks for your reply ...

Regarding your cd-burning problem I found this which may be relevant ...

My CD-burning programs don't recognize the drive as a cd burner at all. "No recordable or rewritable devices were found on your system" is the message I got. So I didn't even progress to the stage where some brands of blank cds would work or not work.

As for playing DVDs, are you sure there is some DVD-player software installed on your laptop? Windows Media Player cannot play DVDs without you adding a third-party MPEG2 decoder plugin, or without a third-party standalone DVD player application being present, such as WinDVD or PowerDVD, in which case Windows Media Player will automatically use the decoder built into either of those two.

Indeed I do have DVD player software installed. When I played DVDs with my old drive, I used either WinDVD or Windows Media Player -- both worked fine. With the new drive plugged in, neither recognizes that a DVD has been inserted into the drive. Perhaps each program needs a new codec or patch in order to work with this new brand drive? (I previously used a toshiba drive CD-RW/DVD drive, and now have a qsi)?

What do you think? And thanks again for your thoughts!

Adam