Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Software to Change boot drive letter in vista

• Please log in to reply

MoltenTessaract

MoltenTessaract

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, i need software that can change the drive letter of the boot harddrive that works in vista. and i need it do so something like Partition Magic 8 does; where it changes the references it finds in programs to the new drive letter.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Not sure I totally understand what your trying to do. Can you try to explain exactly what/why your trying to do? Are you trying to change it so your computer boots to a different hard drive?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Partition Magic doesn't change any references to any programs, all it does is resize partitions and make new ones.

Anyway to change the boot drive letter in Vista is the same solution as it is in XP - requires a reinstallation.

MoltenTessaract

MoltenTessaract

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Not sure I totally understand what your trying to do. Can you try to explain exactly what/why your trying to do? Are you trying to change it so your computer boots to a different hard drive?

I want to change the drive letter of my boot drive, V: to C:, while keeping it all working.

Partition Magic doesn't change any references to any programs, all it does is resize partitions and make new ones.

Anyway to change the boot drive letter in Vista is the same solution as it is in XP - requires a reinstallation.

Yes it does because i did it on my desktop on XP a week ago, but partition magic doesnt work on vista.

In partition magic you can change the drive letter of a drive, say V: to C: and when you click apply it asks you if you want it to run a program that will change all references to V: to C:. so everything will work fine.

i need a program that does that in vista.

And i would install XP so i could use partition magic but the XP cd does not recignise that my laptop has any harddrives, so i cant install it.

MoltenTessaract

MoltenTessaract

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
anyone??