Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont turn on..

• Please log in to reply

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hey, first of all I hope I put this in teh right section.. if not, just tell me where it should go. Other then that I guess I'll get right into it.

Last night, I left my computer on, I've had no problems with it so far. It's about a year old. Today, when I woke up, it was off, and I can't turn it back on. I tried switching powerbars, powercords, powersockets, replacing my brothers computer with mine, and still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going off to school soon and this is just a kick i nthe balls.

Edited by Zylocks, 13 July 2007 - 11:10 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
What exactly do you mean by "replacing my brothers computer with mine, and still nothing"?? Do you mean your brother's computer would not start either when plugged into the same socket you normally plug yours into? If so, then it sounds like the problem is not with your PC (or your brother's) but that the there's no electricity supply to the socket. This usually means a main fuse has blown or 'tripped' on the distribution board in your house, but it would 'kill' several sockets if that happened, not just one.

You must check that there's power getting to the wall socket before blaming your PC. Just plug a lamp or shaver into it to check that out first.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Sorry, I ment my brothers computer was working, so I put my computer into the same place his was, ie using his power bar, his cables etc.. and my computer did not work.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do you hear any fans running? such as power supply or case fans?

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
No, when I press the power button I hear nothing.

Edited by Zylocks, 13 July 2007 - 02:41 PM.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Ok, i just yoinked my brothers power supply and put it in mine, and it works. So I guess I've gotta get a new one. Any recemendations? Also, why would a decently new power supply just die overnight?

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Ok, i just yoinked my brothers power supply and put it in mine, and it works. So I guess I've gotta get a new one. Any recemendations? Also, why would a decently new power supply just die overnight?

Things break sometimes... was there a thunderstorm last night?

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
nope

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Zylocks

Firstly, if your computer is only about a year old, is it still under warranty? If so, then make use of the warranty & get them to replace the PSU!
If not, then it should be fairly straight forward to replace it yourself. Most systems use a standard ATX power supply, however.... some use SFX or proprietry ones. If you let me know the manufacturer & model number of your computer, I'll check it out for you just to be sure.

Re. why the PSU died after only a year... any number of factors may have contributed to it's demise or a simple power surge in the night could have blown one of it's internal fuses for example. A number of big brand systems in the last few years (e.g eMachine, Packard Bell and others) have been churning out cheap systems with cheap PSUs in. I shan't mention the particular PSU brand name I have in mind but suffice to say they are often found in these cheap systems & often have a ridiculously short life span. If you do have one of these PSU's, just consider yourself lucky that the PSU didn't take the motherboard out with it.

If you don't already own one, may I also recommend you also purchase a surge protector for the computer when you replace the PSU.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hey, thanks for the feedback guys. I bought a Kingwin 450 watt psu today, replaced it with my old one and everything seems to be working fine :whistling:.

As for the surge protector, how much does one of those cost..? And I thought a lot of computers nowadays come with something of the sort. Plus, I built this computer and so it did not come with a warranty :S. Although the new psu was only 45 bucks, so I can't complain.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Surge protectors do not come with computers, it's a little separate box that you plug in to the wall. You can grab them for a couple of dollars from the hardware store. Alternatively, you could buy a powerboard with surge protection built-in, I remember Belkin had one out a while ago that also had a warranty saying they would replace $$$$ if it didn't work and you lost your system. Here is a link to what I was thinking of...