Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Dialer

• Please log in to reply

Panda_Bear

Panda_Bear

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The behavior of my "Wireless Network Connection" has changed. Originally, to get on-line wirelessly, I will right-click on the "monitor icon" in the system tray and select from the short-cut menu. In the past few months, however, the behavior has changed. Now when I right-click on the icon, the "WNC" window comes up when I did not make any selection from that menu. I have checked all possibilities how this can happen, i.e. moving the pointer away after I right clicked, or making sure there is no physical contact with the touchpad so the highlighted menu choice won't be inadvertently selected.

Can a dialer do this?

I do question that because recently, I had a detected trojan called, TSPY_SMALL which was successfully removed from my tablet pc. Are there similar trojans that have the ability to do what I mentioned earlier. Sometimes I like to make other selections from that menu as well, but I can't initially do that. Instead, I have to wait and click the close button on WNC first before I can do anything else.

An additional question to pose - is it a standard that there are more packets sent out than received online? For example, my online status shows 30,452 packets sent compared to 25,473 received.

Thankyou

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Diallers have no need to interfere with wireless because there is no dialling involved. Its more likely something else has altered this behaviour, some programs tend to make more changes then they've documented.

As to the second question, it depends what you're doing. If you're uploading files somewhere, you'll naturally end up with more packets going out than you'll have coming in.

Panda_Bear

Panda_Bear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you Neil for your reply to my post. You made a good point about dialers not affecting wireless. I did not see the obvious. I wish I knew what program was affedting the WNC. So far, knock on wood, it is not affecting any other short-cut or drop-down menus.

It does make sense that programs do more changes than they are supposed to do. The most common act is adding themselves to the system tray.

I haven't uploaded files in a long time, so I know it wasn't that.

Is there any way to find out what program is sending out the packets and stopping the process?

Thankyou :whistling:

Panda_Bear

Panda_Bear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I found the problem !!! :whistling: !!!!

There were unusual activities going on like my mouse moving on it's own in subtle ways, also the other problems that were mentioned above, which were very frustrating. After I updated my virus definitions and did another scan it found a Trojan.

It's called: Win32.Trojan.Dropper.Small.156

Parts of it's description is:

... This program may also have built-in tools used to manage your files, run executables on your computer, control your mouse and CD tray, screens, and retrieve passwords, keystroke, and screen shots.

I don't know how much damage it might have done on my computer, but I'm keeping on top of this. I'm glad I deleted it.

Panda

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thank you for taking the time to post what you found to solve your problem. I'm sure this info will help others following this thread. You might still visit our Malware Forum and follow the pinned instructions there to double-check on any other malware.

Ron