Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU problem

• Please log in to reply

stu5640

stu5640

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys, think I may have a similar problem to Alocin, but I didn't want to butt into his thread. There's quite a lot of back story so bear with me...

About 2 weeks ago I got BT broadband Total, installed it on my laptop, and removed the freeware virus protedtion I had (AVG, Zone Alarm etc), in order to install Norton Protection Centre. All was fine unitll a day or two after when my cpu started going up to 100% and slowing my laptop right down. Also when I rebooted it took ages to startup, and the windows tune that plays on startup was all dodgy. I figured it must be some kind of virus so I wiped the system (I actually wiped it, not just created another partition).

All was fine unitll last night, now my laptop is doing exactly the same thing as before. I think that means I can rule out viruses etc, unless there are any that can survive when you wipe your system. PLus i have run a full system scan with norton, and with a squared, both were fine (well, asquared came up with a few medium risk entries for shareaza, but I don't think that's anything to worry about). I don't really know where to go from here, if anyone could help I would be eternally gratefull...

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Look in task manager > processes, under CPU coloumn which process loads the computer so heavilly.

stu5640

stu5640

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well right now i have explorer open and am downloading a few programs, I'm going to try getting rid of norton and using a few freeware progs (Avast, Comodo firewall, Spybot, as i have heard of norton causing problems for some folk) and the cpu usage is between 0-40%, but something is still not right, the internet is really slow, the mouse icon kind of strobes instead of moving properly, and the computer is generally a lot slower than normal.

In task manager the only process that seems to be using a lot is the system idle process, wich is consistently over 60, but i have been told this is okay, everything elseis only about 2% or so, and it keeps changing.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Usually, when the computer is idling (all startup programs loaded, no scans no updates running) system idle process should be above 90%. Please finish changing the programs that you plan and report back if the problem still exists.

stu5640

stu5640

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again, I ended up having to wipe the laptop again then reinstall everything except norton, it seems to be working fine, apart fromthe fact i can't get connected to the internet anymore! I had to spend ages on the phone to Bt the other night and they eventually got it working, but now it won't even detect the hub! Any ideas?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What do you mean by "hub"? Do you mean the device that you got from BT? Could you explain how your communications hardware is set up? Is it a wireless router? is it a modem? Is the computer connected wirelesslly or is it having a cable running between the computer and the device? Or is it a USB modem?

There can be many reasons for the problem. It could be on the wireless part of the router (if it is wireless) or on the computer wireless side. It could be the router in general or the communication card in your laptop. It could be a communication cable etc etc.

To help we must know how the system is built.