Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS2 on Computer

• Please log in to reply

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
i guess this is considered a hardware question because of the fact that i want to use video composite. I have the video composite ports and i know how to plug them in (i'm not that stupid) but after that i'm lost how would i make the ps2 signal appear on the computer. Do i need i driver? a program? can some one help! :tazz:

Advertisements

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
will no one help me!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :tazz: ;) ;) :) :)

sbaens

sbaens

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am not sure what you are trying to do,
PS2 is used for keyboards and mice,
while composite is a TV in- or output signal.
They are not compatible with each other.
Composite doesn't even look like a PS2 connection (svideo does)

If you want to use the video output on your graphic card, then you can use the svideo output or composite (mostly composite is used using a connector cable)

RavenHeart

RavenHeart

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
The best way to play PS2 on your compputer is to get emulator for PS2 (if your computer is fast enough) though i don't know how good ps2 emulators are there.
http://www.emuxhaven.net/ps2.shtml you should find some good emus from here!

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Srry i wans't talking about the PS/2 port i was talking about PS2 as in Playstation 2. anyway i can never get those emulators working because they say i need some bios crap file that is illgal or something. All i want to know is how to make my video composite ports be read by the computer! anytime i plug a componsite in whether its a vcr a camercorder whatever nothing shows up. Do i need a driver a specail program what do i need. (BTW my computer is fast enough to run anything!!!!)

sbaens

sbaens

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
If you have a composite input connection you can record the image using any kind of recording tool, such as virtualdub (free program to record from a cature card) also keep in mind that almost all composite ports on computers are output only and cannot be used for this. If you have a recording hardware card you most likely have the necessary software to record the image.

For more help I need to know what kind of graphic card you use (to know what the composite can do) and in case you have a capture card, use the software provided or some free software like virtualdub

Good luck,
Stefan

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
My video card is a Nvidia Gforece 6600 GT the video comp adapter plugs into the video card port that says VI/VO (i'm guessing thats Video In/Video Out) heres some pics of the adapter. How would i find out if its comp in or if its comp out?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanx for all your help so far. :tazz:

sbaens

sbaens

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello again,

sorry for the lateness of this reply,
I am quite busy at the moment and didn't find time until now,
The VIVO does stand for video in and output I think so it should have something.

But when I check for exampele Asus Nvidia EN6600GT, 128MB Tv-out, DVI,2*VGA,PCIX or Aopen 6600GT 128Mb,AGP8X nVIDIA,Tvout,DVI,8X,DX9 I see both do not support video input. So probably you have a different card.

What is the brandname and full description of it?
Then I can maybe find out what is needed.

You can always try to install virtualdub and try to get an image of it.
Also make sure that you send an image there when testing.

Stefan

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
This is my video card

http://www.i-tech.co...28MB_TV_DVI.asp

in case the page doesn't come up its made by Leadtek aka WinFast.

sbaens

sbaens

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

As I mentioned before it seems that this card does not have TV-input.
The cabling you show is only needed for TV-output.

If you need a TV-input you need a TV-capture card from hauppage, pinnacle or some other or an all in one graphic card like the ati all in wonder series.

If you have a digital camera you can normally hook it up with a firewire cable, if not you need a capture card, and take care about video capturing because it takes a lot of HD-space.

Stefan

Advertisements

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thanx for all your help. Would i have to buy a whole new video card (which i wouldn't do) or do i just need a new adapter. I've seen ones than pinnacle sells that go through the USB port and you can plug Video Comp into it...is that a good idea to use that? i use firewire for my camcorder but i can't use that for a VCR or a Playstation 2 (which is what i want to do) So i can play PS2 on my computer monitor and i also want to Take my old VHS tapes and capture them through the VCR onto the computer using video comp in both cases. So should i get the USB adapter for video comp and what kind of quality is that going to be Becuase i have captured through USB form and the quaility sux. Of course that was on my old computer that had a sucky video card. will the video card help with the USB quality? once again thanx for all your help so far :tazz:

sbaens

sbaens

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi

Do not use a capture program to play games on your PC screen because there is a small delay in input signal and show on the monitor, mostly this is about 1,5 seconds. This is to long for gaming. The capture cards and software, does not mather what brand will have delays so don't use it for that. You could buy a monitor with the svideo or coax input so you can view directly. To capture your old vhs tapes you can use some capture card. I use the Pinnacle deluxe USB 2 and that can record DVD quality. Hauppage has a similar card and USB device.

So take you pik

Stefan

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
so going through USB 2.0 does not sacrafice quality to much. Cool sounds good i guess i'll buy one. Thanx again for all your help geeks you guys are awsome! Thanx Stefen!

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hi
i was just surfing random posts and came upon yours. i did some quick research and found a quick and easy solution.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...8185524237&rd=1

(i am in no way, advertising, or affiliated with the seller, manufacter of the product or the like)

there are many converters like it. this setup allows you to have a simultaneous setup, where your monitor can be linked to both your ps2 and pc at the same time. you could also buy another a/v multi-adapter to avoid the hassle of d/c the ps2 and plugging in your vcr, video camera, or anything else that you possibly would want to do on ure monitor.

i do not know of the quality of that ebay product, and i am NOT ENDORSING IT. please do more research if you plan to buy it. i do not want to be blamed if you get it and you dont like it.

and i also want to add that you are not syncing to the ps2 thru ure computer like you would a capture card. instead the converter acts as its own type of dv router, so that either the pc, or ps2 can use the monitor.

so if ure intention was to connect the ps2 thru the computer so you can record your gameplay and the like, then this setup will not allow you to do so unless you connect a vcr, or any other video in recording device, to the converter, and connect ure ps2 to that. but if all you wanted was to let your monitor take the place of a tv, for space conserving, or to save money, then a setup similar to the one i described above is probably the way to go.

hope i was of some of help to you
Kalian

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
also,
i checked out the link for your gfx card and it looks like your card should be able to support your ps2. but you would definitely need some sort of software for it.

http://www.nvidia.co...e/software.html

if you cant find the sofware cd with your package, click on that link. and its loaded with tons of media software for your geforce card. (however im not sure if the software is compatible with your card because your version is released by leadtek. nonetheless it doesnt hurt to try)

i read thru a couple of them. the software entitled multi-view seems like it may be the answer to the problem, and seems like it would be complemented well by media center. (both are on that link)

i checked the leadtek website and it turns out they really didnt offer anything helpful. so before you buy anything try the software (make sure you configure it correctly), and also make sure the video is plug is connect correctly as well. if your card and ps2 have s-video ports, that would probably be the best way to go to avoid any confusion of how to properly connect your hardware.

in the end, to play your ps2, you'll probably have to run a certain program, before it comes up on ure monitor screen. if you get that far,
then let me know.

then ill try to help you figure out how to get sound if you dont already get it.

good luck on ure gaming setup
Kalian