Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound Today

• Please log in to reply

changeling

changeling

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Dell Dimension 4500 Windows XP. CD drive died 6mo back, put in a new drive with DVD play options.
Today I can't listen to a song on youtube( haven't tried a CD or DVD) clicked on Creative Diagnostics and restored defaults, nothing. I tried to adjust the system volume it said I had no driver installed, all was greyed out and the volume (which was set to zero) would not adjust.
Ran full diagnostics and it failed on MIDI,Wave,Mixer,DirSound3d and mix checks. I tried to run the 'fix' but it said wave driver in use close all apps. and retry.they were closed.
Any ideas?
Thanks Changeling

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Take a look in Control Panel (classic view)->System->Hardware tab->Device Manager. If you see a yellow q.mark or red excl.mark against "unknown device" or "sound device", then it means you need to re-install the sound-driver for your make/model of PC. As it's a Dell PC, you should get the driver from them as they host all the correct drivers for the PC assuming it's still using the same components as when it was new. Several audio drivers are offered on their support-site, so it seems this model was shipped with various sound-chips according to customer's order, but from your post I gather your sound-chip is made by Creative Labs. In which case you need to click on the link for
"Audio Driver-Creative Labs Soundblaster Live! 512V" (8 rows from the top).

Page is here: http://support.euro....l...tid=&impid=

Edited by pip22, 14 July 2007 - 07:05 AM.

changeling

changeling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks!
Followed thelink to the driver download and the page wouldn't come up. Checked the CLab site and they said they offer no more support for that sound card. Does this mean I must buy a new sound card from Dell...
Changeling

changeling

changeling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Problem Solved!
Found a 29.95$ yr driver download site -driver agent.com - they updated my audio driver and everything is humming along.
Beats buying a new sound card or computer.
Thanks again
Changeling